Regardful

May 29, 2005
I finished installing the new parts, changed the fluids, cleaned the air filter, added a new plug, and finally hit the track and trails on Sunday. To give the bike a fair shake down, I ran it on our own .7 mile track ;), and then spent equivalent time on the trails in the woods.

I consider myself an advanced rider, and must admit I was somewhat skeptical about riding a 200 versus the normal 250. However, It didn't take long for the skepticism to disappear.

Although far from a MX bike, I was impressed with the versatility of the KDX. It had lots of bottom end power, was extremely nimble in tight turns, and jumped much, much better than I expected. In fact, I found myself more comfortable in the air on the KDX than on the KTM (didn't always have to worry as much about the KDX getting away from me).

The only negatives I could point out were the stock front springs were certainly weak for my weight (185lbs), and the back end felt a little loose (I think the rear bearings are next to be replaced) in the turns. :(

Overall it was a great first ride and it looks like I've found a new primary bike to ride. Oh yeah, one last thing. It did take me a while to get used to that darn KDX sound every time I stopped! :laugh:

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
The back wheel of my new 04 KDX-200 felt loosey-goosey too. I think much of it was due to the unbalanced suspension; more weight on the front wheel than the rear. I'd spin up in the corners, it was scary. After I installed the OEM K=.37 fork spring, the bike behaves very well. I think the addition of some D756 tires will frost the cake. (P.s. I weigh 174+gear.) Hey, I see you have a Blaster. Those are fun little quads...I had a '99 Blaster..I often think of the KDX-200 as being a modern two-wheeled Blaster. :)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The KDX is a super versitle bike, that's for sure. I bought mine because I wanted something I could ride trails with, dual sport with, and occasionally race with. The other great thing is that the KDX can be upgraded a great deal. It comes as such a mild bike that there is worlds of changes that can be made. Seems like MX bikes come from the factory nearly perfect now days, so you can throw a ton of money in one and see only slight gains. The KDX can be totally transformed if you feel inclined to do so.

As for the loose backend, if it isn't because of super shot bearings I'd say fork springs. When pushed hard it felt as though the front end would stab in and try to just stop, then the rear would swing wide. I found myself having to slide/pivot/explode on a bike that's definitly not best at riding that way. Stepping to .40 springs helped me everywhere (track, trails, whoops). BTW, I'm 180 + gear.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Balancing the suspension will make a big difference. I was skeptical even after reading through this forum, but now that I've upgraded front and back springs, it feels much more nailed down. The rear end tracks much better through the turns. Don't replace the bearings until you fix the front forks, unless your sure the bearings are bad.

Regardful

May 29, 2005
notenuftoys said:
Balancing the suspension will make a big difference. I was skeptical even after reading through this forum, but now that I've upgraded front and back springs, it feels much more nailed down. The rear end tracks much better through the turns. Don't replace the bearings until you fix the front forks, unless your sure the bearings are bad.
Agreed! I did a quick check of the bearings today and they seem fine (smooth operation and no excessive play). Given that I weigh around 185+ gear, my intention is to start with the front springs. After looking on the FRP site it looks like I need to go with a .38kg spring.

More than likely, I'll hold off on the rear spring for a little while. I don't mind doing my part to keep the economy moving, but I need to pace myself! :yikes:

Regardful

May 29, 2005
adam728 said:
The KDX is a super versitle bike, that's for sure. I bought mine because I wanted something I could ride trails with, dual sport with, and occasionally race with. The other great thing is that the KDX can be upgraded a great deal. It comes as such a mild bike that there is worlds of changes that can be made. Seems like MX bikes come from the factory nearly perfect now days, so you can throw a ton of money in one and see only slight gains. The KDX can be totally transformed if you feel inclined to do so.

As for the loose backend, if it isn't because of super shot bearings I'd say fork springs. When pushed hard it felt as though the front end would stab in and try to just stop, then the rear would swing wide. I found myself having to slide/pivot/explode on a bike that's definitly not best at riding that way. Stepping to .40 springs helped me everywhere (track, trails, whoops). BTW, I'm 180 + gear.

I'm interested in your spring choice. According to the FRP site, they recommend a .38 for riders between 150-200lbs. However, you went with a .40. I'm wondering whether I should consider the .40 myself?

Regardful

May 29, 2005
kx250kev said:
The back wheel of my new 04 KDX-200 felt loosey-goosey too. I think much of it was due to the unbalanced suspension; more weight on the front wheel than the rear. I'd spin up in the corners, it was scary. After I installed the OEM K=.37 fork spring, the bike behaves very well. I think the addition of some D756 tires will frost the cake. (P.s. I weigh 174+gear.) Hey, I see you have a Blaster. Those are fun little quads...I had a '99 Blaster..I often think of the KDX-200 as being a modern two-wheeled Blaster. :)

When I get tired of two wheels I switch to the Blaster. It's a versatile little sucker that goes anywhere I want it to. A big plus is that parts are also plentiful and cheap.

Most of the guys I ride 4wheelers with ride thumper 4 strokes, and tend to rib me about my "starter" 4wheeler. However, I always get the last laugh in the tight woods when the trees get closer together. All is in good fun though. :laugh:

I guess I should also add the KX 80 my son rides, the XR80 my wife rides, and of course the XR 50 my daughter rides. It's great having all the toys, but guess who gets to work on them all! :ohmy:

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, they stop making fun of me after I drag raced them and smoked all their 4-strokes! Also, with a giant set of Bandit XC kevlar belted mud tires, I could go more places than them, and pull myself out when I got stuck. :) I always thought that little air cooled 200 6-speed would be awesome in a modern dirt bike chassis......

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Regardful said:
I'm interested in your spring choice. According to the FRP site, they recommend a .38 for riders between 150-200lbs. However, you went with a .40. I'm wondering whether I should consider the .40 myself?

Kinda depends on your riding. 95% of the trails here are sandy whoop monsters. My suspension still needs lots of work to do great in them, but I definitly wouldn't got softer for my use. I occasionally hit the track to ride / race and the stiffer springs are about perfect. I did give up some initial plushness, but I can live with that.

My buddy has a bone stock 220, I've it with mine back to back. My suspension is noticably more harsh than his at low speeds, but I still young and stupid so I rarely ride at low speeds. When pushing it my bike feels 10 times more capable, and the only suspension mod is the fork springs (so far).

Top Bottom