First post - buying '92 YZ 250 coming off '00 CR500 (RM vs. YZ)

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Hi everyone, this is my first post although I have been lurking and reading for the past month or so. I've grown up with bikes (I'm 28 now) and I've had an '80 IT125, '81 CR125, '81 YZ125, 83 YZ250.. then a 10 year break.... then a '02 DRZ400S dual sport, then a '00 CR500 (AWESOME BIKE!)..... I sold the bike to help pay for our wedding last summer.

Now I NEED another bike. I'm by no means pro and I'll just be using it for open fields, bush, hills and some sand. I prefer to keep it out of the air as my landing skills are somewhat lacking. I'm looking for an older bike so that I don't have too much $$ into it, just something fun with balls to ride (I have too many expensive hobbies).

I am very close to purchasing a '92 YZ250 from the original owner. Very nice shape (other than it's frickin' pink :coocoo: ) It has an aftermarket pipe, silencer, pipe guard, bars, new chain/sprockets and the guy that owned it was a Yamaha mechanic and was never that great of rider and never rode it that hard.

Sorry for the long winded post... stay with me :) So I've read everyting I can find on the 92 yz250. Does anybody have one of these or know of common pros/cons regarding this bike? Suggestions? Thanks in advance all!! :cool:

Oh, there is also a 92 RM250 for about the same price and same condition that I'm looking at as well. I'm leaning towards the yz just because I've had yz's in the past. Is either one better than the other??

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
What kind of price range are you looking for, how much are the bikes. Sometime people think they are getting a great deal on something when they could do a lot better. there are a lot of post about that stuff. If the bikes are really nice its basically pick a color and go. Dont know about the pink tho :rotfl: As far realiability, I've always owned RM's and have rarely had any major problems with them but thats just me. I'm sure there are a lot of other people here who can help you better choose. Good Luck

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Both bikes are in good shape with similar aftermarket add-ons. They are $2000 CAN (about $1600 US) - Which in comparison to others that are out there seems like a decent price for them. I am trying to limit myself to about $2500 CAN - I just want a powerful, reliable bike to have fun on.

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
I have a 93 yz250 so I dont know if there was much difference between the years. It runs great and keeps up with our 00 yz250. There was an issue with the powervalve stop wearing causing it to turn into the cylinder - I had to have mine resleaved to repair it. Talked to Eric G. about it and he stated its a common problem and machined it so it cant happen again. Otherwise the bike runs great but heavier than the newer one. How did you like your DRZ ? Thinking about getting an E model.

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
So how much was it to fix that valve issue? How do I check the bike to see if it's going to need this fix?

RCJ81 said:
How did you like your DRZ ? Thinking about getting an E model.

RCJ81 -My DRZ was a good bike - it was the dual sport 'S' model with all the lights and electric start so it was heavier than the regular E model. But I had all the armour and knobbies and stuff like that on it. It was a good bike, reliable, lots of grunt and the electric start was slick. But, as any dual sport, it does road riding "pretty good" and off road "pretty good" - but because it does both it doesn't excel at either. But it's one of the best dual sports out there and it does waht it's designed to do. And again - four strokes are different than two strokes - I never was really crazy about the engine braking of the four stroke - that's why I'm sticking with 2' s!

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Anybody else have any info or suggestions between the 1992 RM250 or the YZ250?

Both bikes were owned by motorcycle mechanics. The YZ has never had the top end replaced but the guy checked it twice a year and said it never needed replacing. He also said he didn't ride it that hard and that it was stone cold reliable.

The RM has a new top end with only stock exhaust and there are no side panels (back ordered). It's 2 hours away so I haven't been able to find the time to drive down and look at it. Both bikes are just around the $2000 CAN mark.

If I can't find more info I guess I'll just bite the bullet and hope for the best and probably go with the YZ.....

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
One thing is certain, if you buy the YZ, put a new top end in it ASAP. They don't last forever and that bike is well past due for replacement.

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
It ran me about $500 - $600 for all parts and labor. This included the resleve, machining of and purchase of the powervalve, top end kit and gaskets. Take off the left side powervalve cover on the cylinder and check to see if the stop looks worn, also rotate the valve while the piston is in front of it (with the engine off) and listen or feel if it hits it. Hope this helps a bit.

Top Bottom