Fitting a longer throttle cable on 98 YZ125

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Hello, I am having a problem with my throttle cable being too short after having installed 7/8 to 1"1/8 bar adapters and a higher rise bar. Plus i put on an aluminum throttle tube and it is closed on the end so the throttle is mounted a lil further to the end of the bar than the oem one. I like the new setup so i was wondering if i can fit a yz250 cable or something of that sort that is a little longer... :ride:

Thanks, Chris

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Go to a good bike shop. Explain your problem. They can usually make you a cable to fit. If you are good at soldering, you can also make your own cable or shorten a 250 cable. It isn't that difficult, but it is easier to pay a shop to do it and, if you're asking this question, you probably don't have the tools or developed the skills yet to attempt this. Last time I had one made, it was $25. Take your old cable to the shop so they have the right ends to use when they make one.

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Alright. Yeah, i don't have any experience with making cables. I heard ASV makes longer cables, but couldnt find them anywhere. Don't get me wrong, though, i have alot of mechanical experience with bikes and quads, just not the niches like making cables and stuff like that. I should look into getting the tools. Our collection of motion pro specialty tools is slowly building :cool: .

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I don't have their phone number, but a friend of mine called up Motion Pro and they made him a longer cable for this very reason (big bars and adapters).

Top Bottom