Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Another discussion brought this up and got me thinking. It seems we always have a difficult time getting enough flaggers for the MX races at DW. Why is this? This year we started out with just enough and as the day went on we kept losing flaggers. I can understand that not everybody wanted to stand out in the sun all day getting dust covered but this is exactly why I think we need a better way to make sure we have enough flaggers. Given the nature of the DW races and the idea that it is supposed to be fun for everyone a solution I came up with is to REQUIRE anybody that signs up to race to flag for another class. That way we keep a fresh supply of flaggers available for each class, nobody is tied down all day and who better to flag than a racer?

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
I second the motion....... Crispy had a bunch of people sign up in a DW thread prior to DW. Some did not act on their commitment.

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Thanks for the plug Patman. I am definately exploring solutions for next year. I have a couple ideas already, but I will definately take any suggestions anyone has.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Let me be sure it's understood I'm not complaining about doing it, I said I would and I knew what was in store. My only concern is that as DW gets bigger the effort to make everything go down in a manner that is safe and fun for everyone there will HAVE to be more help. Asking those that participate in a race seems a logical choice because they seem to be interested in it.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
More of a rotation would definitely be nice. I flagged for 2 or 3 motos and was hoping for some relief at one point. I was becoming a crispy critter!
Flagging the pro/A race at that first table top was interesting. I was more covered in dirt/dust just flagging than I ever was riding! ;)

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
You're right Pat, Folks disappeared as the day went on. I ended up covering two jumps on the back side for the second B and Pro/A motos. And I think someone else was covering two on down the line.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think an assignment when the races are organized would help. I went to Okie and asked if they needed more flaggers, would have been willing to substitute for anyone. If I had known anyone was wanting/needing relief would have been glad to help.
If we have a post for volunteer flaggers before DW03, I think Okie/Pokie should appoint the flaggers for the races they volunteer for.

I hereby sign myself up for the A and bikes w/lights class.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I signed up to flag but to be honest, I didn't know who to get with since Oldguy got whacked. I went to flag the kids race and they had too many people. After the first A moto, I was pretty spent and went to sit down for a bit. Sorry if I didn't help as much as I would have liked to.;)

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
I'll need to video my kids race, but I will certainly try to flag next year. I must say that the flaggers this year did an excellent job though! A big THANKS! and a "Job Well Done!" to the DW2K2 flagger crew! :thumb:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I flagged the middle backstretch table during the first 'B' and the "Lights" motos. I didn't have a flag though. Next year, I'll bring my own. Flagging was almost as much fun as racing. . .especially when the woods spodes hit the track. Get it? HIT the track. . . :) :silly:

I never could find anyone who would admit to being in charge of race control. :) Maybe there should be a central point for all the race control officials to congregate. I'll volunteer an EZ-UP to be designated as the control center if that's Ok with you guys.

Sobriety should be mandated for the scorers as well.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Well I had just as much fun flagging as I did in the races. I like Patman's idea, it shouldn't be too difficult to flag one or two heats while competeing in your own.

OldCRgoat, were you the guy sitting in the chair at my favorite "cut through" was?

I'll be glad to flag again at DW03, or even help organize ( :scream: did I just say organize? ) round up flaggers or whatever. I know how to get flaggers ... Anyone that beats me has to flag .... no one could ever accuse me of "sandbagging" in that event! :thumb:

wrench

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That's part of my idea guys. It's so totally simple to "organize" flaggers when they have already signed up to race so there is minimal setup required. as long as each rider/flagger has one race between their duties and their race they should be able to get to the gate easily. Obviously the kids will fall under a different catagory but we had plenty of help on that one any way. The additional benifit is that then there are additional folks available to help with injuries etc...

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Patman,

Suggest a move to the new DW03 forum?
I am going to be in the "C" race and will be available fo all else unless someone calls me for a smack talk race or tels me I need to move up a class.

Phillip

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good idea, away we go.

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
Wrench, nope wasn't me, never sat down, ran a couple of times though.
OK, there is a slight chance that I may ride the C next year, but even at that I Volunteer to organize and make SURE that we have enough flaggers for each race( O.K. BH's, don't let me down here!).

I have ways to make you Flag!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
We just need to make sure that we have seperation between motos.

With the schedule we had this year, A's and B's could've flagged the C and Women's race. Everyone was able to flag the kids race except Bikes w/lights. Then the C's and Women could flag the B w/L, B's and A's. Since C's and B's were the biggest class and they don't overlap, we should really have enough flaggers. The kids class breaks things up and gives most riders a bit of a rest.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I had a really good time being a flagger!
You see how everybody goes into/exits the turns.
It's also very educational to hear where people are on the gas on those jumps.
Count me in as a flagger. I'll bring a special outfit...

Top Bottom