Crispie0

May 2, 2002
My bike barely drips gas after riding it so I know I need to adjust.
Where does a guy find a float level tool/gauge? I'd prefer to measure from the bottom of the float to the float bowl mating surface. Is there something I can pick up at the local hardware store that I could use?
I can't find anything local and one place on the net wants something like $30.00 for it. Which way would I bend the tang to stop it?
Thanks for the help!

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
MIne used to drip, I took out the carb, took off the bottom, bent that foat down alittle, now it's fine. No measurin or nothin, all by eye....

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I had a fellow tell me once that he made a tool out of a plastic champagne cork and some tubing. He said the plastic cork fit the drain plug hole perfectly.

The whole trick is to get a clear plastic tube coming from the float bowl drain plug and up along the side of the carb so you can see how high the fuel in tube is since liquid will raise only as high as it is in the bowl. Seems like a pretty easy thing to make. In fact you could buy a spare float bowl drain plug and drill and tap a fitting into it and attatch a 6 inch length of tubing and use the existing hose vent clamps to keep the tubing in an upright position.

If someone builds one and it works take pictures and send them in.

Crispie0

May 2, 2002
Mikeb - Sounds interesting. I'll have to open a bottle this weekend and check it out! If the cork doesn't fit maybe there's something laying around the shop that will. Later...

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
Mikeb idea works well.
Just make sure that the dia. of the tube does not restrict the flow of fuel and give you a false reading. I've been using one for ages. Any cork, screw it into the botton of the drain plug and let it make it's own thread.
Works great. I'm sure the there is a eg. on someones site, maybey Dave's.

Top Bottom