HRTrider

Nov 8, 2002
First of all, thanks for the great input on this website. I'm a first time KDX owner (2001 - 200) and have learned a lot on this website. I have searched and haven't seen this topic.

I'm checking my float level. Typically, I think it's too high. I'm having a little difficulty with the typical level check by measuring the float vs. bowl mating surface. The float bowl pivot pin is so loose it falls out. I have to hold it while doing the measurement. The loose fit changes the measurement a little depending on how it's weighted (upside down or not). I think this may be why my level is too high.

Are the pivot pins suppose to be this loose? I think I can adjust it as-is holding the carb right-side up such that the float weights the pin normally. Has anybody seen this before? Is it normal? Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Yes the float pin is a slip fit.

Try this, set your carb on a table, on it's air cleaner bell. Now the float pin will be parallel to the table and the engine side of the carb will be pointed straight up.

Now tip the carb back and forth to make the float swing a little. Then look at the float needle, it has a spring loaded plunger.

Tip the carb to the point of contact but not depressing the spring loaded plunger.

It is at this point the float valve shuts off the gas flow.

There is a cast parting line molded in the sides of the floats. This line should be parallel to the base of the carb where the float bowl goes (about 16 mm I think)

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
If you check the spec. on float height, I believe it's pretty wide. I could not get a real accurate reading on mine either, but the spec. is so wide that , no matter how I measured, I was within spec.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just to reiterate shr's point..cuz 'such that the float weights the pin normally' could be interpreted as a problem.

It's as it touches the pin, so there isn't any weight on it at all.

BTW..you adjust float level by bending the tang that touches the pin...NOT by bending the float arms!

There is a fuel sight level method for setting float level on CDave's site (see the thread at the top of this forum).

You'll find out how loose that pin is when you take your fuel bowl off in the woods, tilt the carb to reach the pilot...and the pin falls out. Somewhere.

Anytime you're messing with the bottom end of the carb in a place where dropped parts could be a big problem...keep your finger on the pin to make sure it stays put.

HRTrider

Nov 8, 2002
Thanks for the input. That makes me feel a little better. I thought maybe that very loose (I can see daylight between the pin and hole) fit was abnormal. The maunual says "drive" the pin out which I interpreted as a loose press fit, not a "falls out on it's on" fit.

I adjusted it a little and will check the actual fuel level after re-assembly. Any ideas on a "hardware" store level checker. Checked Lowes, they don't do metric. I've read that maybe a wine bottle cork can be screwed into the drain hole. I may try a rubber stopper.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom