oldmanmike

Feb 25, 2005
I've got an '85 KDX200 that has always had a problem with flooding. When you go out to start it the first time for the day, it'll flood. Usually put in a new plug and it fires up the first kick and will run all day, until it cools down. Then it'll flood again. I sold it to my newphew a couple of years ago and it's been sitting. Carb was in real bad shape and the reeds won't seat. I cleaned it all up, put in a new main jet and new reeds, cranked on the thrid kick, ran great for a couple of hours, but surprise, wouldn't start the next day. Now I've got fuel coming out of the exhaust & overflow. I've been though the carb a couple of times and the float is set good and all the gunk is cleaned out (that I can see). I'm just looking for new ideas, I'm thinking a new carb is in it's future. Anybody got any ideas before I spend a chunk of change? Thanks. Oldmanmike.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
always shut off petcock at end of every ride?

probably have a petcock leak -- disconnect fuel line overnight bet the bike will work perfect

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
The float level may be set correct but did you check the needle & seat? Pull the needle out and see if there is a "Step" towards the point of the needle. Typically after time the needle will get "Stepped" from where it sits in the seat. You may want to replace the needle & seat and just rule it out.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I have an 85 KDX200, Carb parts a tough to get if you want OEM, Needle Jet-Discontinued. Can get an after market needle but it is shorter. Check the float valve. I have never had a problem like you discribed. You can get an after market carb for about $250. If the bikes in great shape it might be worth it

oldmanmike

Feb 25, 2005
Thanks guys. I tore the carb down again this weekend and everything seems to look and work fine. Couldn't feel a step in the needle. I think maybe something internal in the casting that I can't see. I think I'm going for a new carb. I've heard of problems buying off of ****. The bike still has a strong top end and I'm trying to get it fixed up for my son. Thanks again for a great web site.

oldmanmike

Feb 25, 2005
Just thought I'd give you guys an update on this flooding problem. I took both of my floats and dropped them in a can of gas and surprise, one floated, the other one sank. I ordered a new float and got it installed this weekend. The bike was hard to start at first, but finally fired up and has been running since. I also had to change the float level by trial and error till I got it to quit running out of the overflow. Hope this helps some of you with your problems.

oldmanmike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom