Ford Super Crew (and very short beds)

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am considering a used 01 Super Crew to replace my trusty Chevy HD long bed. (hate to see that truck go... love that diesel sure can haul a load too) All the trucks i have owned in the past have been 8' beds and am concerned if the rather short bed will really hold a bike or two. Sure - one bike with it angled should fit... what about two bikes and gear? Would two fit with the gate down and bed extender thing in place?

I really do need the 4 door variety of truck to hold the kids etc - and have found the extended cab on my Chevy just not big enough for them (they need to stop growing). Avalanch...well - lets just say its a matter of personal taste.

So... can the Super Crew haul the goods?

oh - if you are in Michigan and looking to buy a 96 k2500 long bed extended cab 6.5 Turbo Diesel... let me know!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
That is a very short bed. Check out the F250/350 four door, long bed. If you compare apples to apples, i.e. gasoline engine to gasoline engine, the price difference isn't worth the super short bed to me. Of course, since you'll be able to get a diesel in the big truck, it'll end up costing you more. ;)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Chevy makes a nice 1500HD model, crew cab short box that you might be interested in. It looked like it had a regular 6 1/2' box (same as any other shortbox pickup). I've got a regular cab short box GMC, two bikes and gear fit in there easily with the tailgate down. I've had 4 bikes on deck before, with 3 big gearbags and two 5gallon gas cans, bike stands...

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
To answer your question: Yes you can get two bikes and gear bags in the back of the Super Crew. You will want to use the bed extender though. This will keep items from wanting to slide out the back.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
No problems

I haul one and two bikes in both my 2000 and 2002 F250 Super Duty Crewcab 4x4 shortbed (6.5').

If I am just hauling one bike, all I do is fasten the bike down in the center of the bed, and then slide the rear wheel over to one side and close the tail gate. Piece of cake.

Now for two bikes, I fasten then down, leave the tail gate down, and place an additional tie down strap across the rear tires of both bikes and then I use a bungee cord on each rear tire to make sure the strap doesn't slide down or off the rear tire.

I've hauled bikes several hundred miles this way. Just make sure nothing flys out the back of the bed while the tailgate is down.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
F250 vs F150 Super Crews?

Isnt the F250 Super Crew bed at 6 or 6.5 feet while the F150 at 5.5? Oh.. KX 727 - is supect you are right... would be hard to stay away from that diesel - cant have to much power can ya!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
KDX - the truck he's talking about is the 5.5' bed. Very short.

Even carrying 8'ft sheets of plywood would get interesting and if you wanted to pick up some 10' boards, you are going to have trouble keeping them in the truck.

Most bikes are around 7' from fender to fender. You'll have to get the extender like someone else mentioned.

I'm sure you've been here, but this is the Ford site that you can build your truck on to compare prices: Click

Base price for F350 XLT Crew Cab (4dr) 4x4 w/8ft bed and 5.4L: $32960
Base for F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 w/5.5ft bed and 5.4L (option): $31035

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by KX - 727

Base for F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 w/5.5ft bed and 5.4L (option): $31035

looks like i won't be getting one anytime soon.

SLEEZ

Nov 14, 2000
I have the F250 CC 4X4 SB and the bed is 6' 7.5". It'll hold two bikes with the tail gate up. You just put the bikes as far to the outside and angle the back wheels towards the center and the tail gate will shut.

You might as well get the F250, more truck and motor. It only gets a mile or two less per gallon than the 5.4l. Runs and looks great. The Chevys sit way too low stock, they can barely clear a speed bump. Can't go wrong having a solid front axle, the chevy's and f150's come with the IFS (inferior front suspension)

Later

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
thanks for all the input. Looks like I will scratch that F150 off the X-mas list and start looking for a F250 Super Crew Short Bed. I find i have little tolerance for things that just miss the mark... like my current truck - sure its nice, sure it can tow about anything, and that 8 foot bed is plenty large - but that cab is a bit tight for the kids in the back... with the F150 SuperCrew I would be trading the bit to small cab for a bit to small of bed. Oh well...

thanks again

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Just to spend a bit more of your money ;)

The 8ft foot bed adds only $200, hard to believe considering it's a bigger frame, bed and longer exhaust, drive shaft, etc.

I did exact price comparison for my parents last month.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Thanks KX-727,

Sorry, I didn't realize he was talking about the F150 over the F250.

I agree, go with the F20. Also you can go to kbb.com and get new truck prices with all the options listed. This is what I did and got my 2002 for just 400.00 over listed invoice.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado short bed (6 1/2 ft) and I have carried 2 full size bikes (an RM250 and my Husky 125) and my son's YZ85 with gear and my tool box and a cooler all with the tailgate UP!!! Mini in one corner rear tire on the wheel well, 125 in the other, 250 as close to the 125 as possible then angle both full size to the other corner. It leaves a big open spot for tool box and cooler and I put the gear bag inbetween the front tires of the 250 and the mini. (I actually put 2 of the 3 helmets behind the seat in the cab (regular cab)

If you had an extended or dual cab you could fit all the gear inside.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Whoah! Sorry, but 727 is wrong on this one. KTM Mike -- I've got the f150 SuperCrew and it's awesome. Gate up, one grown up bike and one kid's bike. Gate down, two grown up bikes and one kid's bike. All the gear. Plenty of room in the interior, of course. And, when you're not riding, the truck is a very maneuverable size for day to day driving. I love it.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
F250/350 all the way!

Check out the Crew Cab, long-bed, F250/350 before you spend the money on a Super Crew or a short-bed. I just bought one and I can tell you that the full-size/four-door cab and 8' bed are definitely worth it - even if you can get by with the smaller bed or cab. I've had 3 full-size bikes, 3 little bikes, and enough gear for the riders in the bed. Seating is top of the line in the front and rear, and the back is very comfortable even for passengers over 6' in height. And, with a front bench seat you really can seat 6 adult passengers.

Also, check out a site called Ford-diesel.com and search on 'X-plan'. In case you aren't aware, Ford Motor Company has special plans for employees or members of certain organizations. There's info on the site about how to join a club ($45) and get qualified for this. With the x-plan you will pay about 4% LESS than the dealer invoice - no haggling involved. Search Ford-diesel.com for more info on the x-plan, and while you're there take a look at all the review, problems(not many), and opinions of the members. It's a great site and although it's really devoted to the PowerStroke Diesel, there is a Gas Engine forum as well.

If you have trouble finding the x-plan info, or have any more questions about it, feel free to ask!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
When I was shopping for a new truck this fall (diesel only), I was tempted by the Ford. I was comparing 4x4, 3/4ton, 4 door, leather, shortbox trucks from Ford and GM. Chrysler's solid front axle in the 4x4's put them out of the contest before the gate dropped for me.

I liked the looks of the ford a bit better but the diesel is much louder and very noticeably underpowered compared to the Chevy. The interior wasn't quite as nice without the full middle console/dual buckets that the Chev offered, IMO, either. So I got an 01 Chevy HD2500 and I've loved over the first 7k miles so far.

After I got my truck, Ford got some very negative attention from the BRC and other groups that support outdoor rights for their very liberal giving and promoting of tree hugger extremist groups. I've included a link from DRN below that talks about some of it. Between that and the fact that Chevy is the main sponsor of the national MX and SX race series, I'm pretty glad I made the decision I did.

I'm not saying don't by Ford or that I made some high moral decision. I just think you should know before you buy.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php&threadid=26439&highlight=ford

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I recently bought a '01 F150,5.4 Supercrew.(0 % interest and closeout pricing) I have been very satisfied with the purchase so far. I have owned both Chevys and Fords. IMHO Chevys usually have a little more power but my last one had much more upkeep,and the fit and finish of a Fords interior is much superior to a Chevy.. I haul a popup and 2 bikes with no problem,you do have to use the gate extender for multiple bikes loaded staright on.:silly:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Jeb,

looking at heavy duty trucks, real 3/4 tons and up and all diesels, the only make without a solid axle is the chev that you bought. The ford has a Dana xx hidden in the front unless you considered the light duty 3/4 ton which isn't available with the diesel.

I commend you for your courage to buy a truck with brand new technology such as the duramax diesel. If it works as advertised over the long term, it will be the beginning of a new breed of diesels.

My theory is that unless the diesels become very quiet, powerful, and smokeless, like the duramax, that they won't gain complete public acceptance. Ultimately, I would like to see the mini pickups and even half ton pickups powered by smaller diesel powerplants in the US. It's a shame that americans can't buy a turbo diesel 4runner or minitruck like those available in foreign countries.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
FORD EXCURSION LIMITED ULTIMATE

Just bought this truck in August. ZERO APR, 7.3L Diesel, 44gal fuel tank, seating for 8, 11,000lb tow capacity and it looks fantastic. The diesel is not as loud as I thought it was going to be. On the highway I can not even hear it. Could not be happier with the purchase. Look into the X plan. I paid a little more than that plan. Originally wanted a Crew Cab F250 or F350 Dually 4X4. But with three boys riding now and a little girl that will be riding in a few years could not justify the PU. Either way the Diesel ROCKS!!
  • 2001 RM250
  • 1998 HD FATBOY
  • 1970 Triumph T100C
  • 2000 KX65
  • 1997 CR80RBT
  • 1999 JR50
:mad:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Highbeam,
Thanks for the info on the solid axle in the Ford. I knew my buddies 1/2 ton has the independent front suspension so I guess I assumed the Superduty did, too. I'll have to bend down and take a look one of these days.

The new motor and tranny are a bit of a worry but the engine has a 100k warranty and Allison has been making reliable tranny's for a long time.

This is my first oil burner and I agree with your comments about other truck diesel's available in the US currently. If this motor is the first of the new generation diesel's, I think they will become a more and more popular choice. Unbelievably more quiet than the Ford PSD. It's really only slightly louder than the 350's and 454's we've had in our last 2 suburbans and the wife's Caddilac Escalade, even at idle speeds and town driving. And it's gotten quieter since break in. So far, I'm a diesel convert. We'll see how this winter goes, though. Gelling fuel and frozen fuel filters are worries but I'm doing what I can to prevent them. Time will tell.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
250 long bed

I wanted a f250 supercab short bed. But the only truck I could find in my area that was closest to what i wanted was long bed. Personally I think the short bed looks better. I went ahead and got the long bed and have been very glad that I did. The truck is a beast to park and drive in small lots and roads, but the extra space in the back is great to have. My last truck had a short bed and I had to either take the tailgate off or tie it up so it wouldnt get hit by my trailer. But with the long bed I can fit 3 bikes, my gear, tools, firewood and whatever else easily. One sugestion though, if you decide to raise it up, you better bring a friend ridding each time or devise some sort of long double ramp system. I have dropped my bikes plenty of times on myself trying to unload or load them.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
I have the 2001 F250 Superduty CrewCab w/ Short Bed

No Problems with 2 bikes and gear. Tailgate won't close though. Just 3 inches short. A tailgate extender is a nice gizmo, I don't like 'em but other people do. We use a tie down from the latches on the side of the tailgate hooked to the bike frames to hold the gate up, works fine upto about 90 mph.;)

I LOVE the ride of the truck. Really like the back up sensors. They beep when you are 18 " from a wall or tree or car, whatever. When 6 " away the beep increases rate until it is a solid warning buzzer. Great for backing in a parking space. Has an off switch if you don't like the warning or have a trailer attached.

Other nice touches:
4 wheel disc
4 speed auto w/ O.D.
Cruise
CD player
Seats are great!!!

Hate my Dodge work truck ( also a 2001 )

Ford is MUCH better

Top Bottom