WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Well, the time has come to start thinking about a new vehicle for the Woods family. With a baby due any day now we’ve just about outgrown our current vehicles. The ’95 4Runner can easily carry four adults, but strap in a car seat and three will be a tight squeeze. Our biggest problem is that both our families live far away. Whenever more than one person visits, it would be difficult to carry everyone, and everything, in one vehicle. The subject of minivans :eek: has come up several times. They definitely have the passenger room we are looking for, but are fairly pricey and don’t really have outstanding fuel economy. The worst part is we’ll be getting rid of my ’92 Toyota P/U and a minivan doesn’t have any space for hauling my bike. Hence I am leaning towards a full-size passenger van (wagon). I know a few people who drive Ford vans and they are very pleased with them. Size-wise the E-150 XLT provides enough room for carrying 8 adult passengers. Depending on the engine choice, fuel mileage isn’t that much different from a minivan with a V6. Additionally I could remove the rear seats and haul my bike in the back. It would also provide a warm, dry place to change or sleep.

I’d like to hear about anyone’s experiences, good or bad, with full-size vans. Make or model does not matter as we’re still in the early stages.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I agree with your point on the mileage. It seems that a caravan we owned when I was younger, I took my driver's test in it, got 16 mpg in town and 20 on the highway with the 3.0 V6. Why not get a V8 in a fullsize vehicle? The same goes for your toyota pickup. Mileage is only slightly lower for much more vehicle.

I drove a van full of survey equipment for a summer. It was a ford with large V8, probably the 460 in a 3/4 ton extended chassis. When you walk around in the back you must lean down a bit so you don't bonk your head. The side slider door can be a finger chopper but is very nice for access. The step-in height in the rear was very low so loading your bike should be pleasant. The cooky thing about driving it was that you were sitting so far forward. When you went through a corner, you traveled more distance since you were sitting on the front wheel. Not a big deal, just had to get used to it. The engine was quite inside the doghouse.

Just like with a pickup, I would recommend against a half ton. The stouter suspension and running gear make for a more stable ride. You may want to tow with it someday and the half ton is built with lighter duty components. Brakes, suspension, transmission, coolers, etc. will all be of heavier build.

Good luck.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
TexKDX just picked up a E350 cargo van with the Powerstroke in it and seems to be pretty happy with it. I think he had an E150 before that and it seemed to serve the purpose (for him that is bike hauling and warm and dry sleeping). I would agree that going for the beefier chassis would pay long term benifits even if you forgo the diesel. If I had the funds available I'd love to have a Quigley 4x4 conversion van with all the neat built in stuff and the pop up top but until I hit the lottery I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Since it's going to be a big rig anyway I'd also suggest getting something a little bigger than you think your going to use so that you could haul people AND bikes. Just my $0.02 though.:)

eldenh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2001
You might consider a VW Eurovan. I've been using one for a couple years and find it very satisfactory. Although classified a minivan, it has lots of room and you can roll a bike in when the seats are removed. I usually get 21 or 22 mpg.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
With a baby due any day now we’ve just about outgrown our current vehicles

I have no idea what you are talking about!

err wait, I did buy 2 4 door vehicles in the same week :eek:

got rid of the wifes 2 door and my ext cab Z71

I don't blame you Woods, IF I would buy a van it would be a full size.
It will pull a nice bike trailer too :D

Budda

May 24, 2000
I've got an E-150 cargo. Great van, but I feel the suspension is a little too mushy. For that reason, I'd recommend test driving a 250 to see how it rides. You could also consider the extended wheelbase vans. I'm not sure , but I think the GM vans extend the chassis between the wheels instead of behind the rear axle, like Ford.

spodeinator

Jun 27, 2001
i used to have an E150, it was an older one, 84 I think, with a 302 V8. It served it's purpose great. Room for 4, or 2 with two bikes. Or one, one bike, and a place to sleep next to the bike. It was indeed a bit mushy, but heavy duty shocks all around and overload airbags (the axle mount kind) on the rear end solved that. Great van.

I upgraded a few years ago to an E350 extended van so I could have a little more room. It's a 98 with a V10. Now I've got room for 4 people AND 2 bikes, or two people, two bikes, AND a place for both people to sleep without removing the bikes. Toss in a porta potti, and it's my own little RV :)

In both cases, these were not daily drivers. My daily driver is either a streetbike or a small econocar (Cavalier). Vans are large, tough to park in the city, and get bad mileage. Both of my vans got around 12-14mpg (compared to 35 in the Chevy, and 55 on a bike). Ironic considering the size difference, but I guess that's the benefit of a few years of development, that the V10 could match the mileage of the 302...

I love the van, and would never consider a pickup. It has all the advantages with the added benefit of security for when you go to a restarant or something. And your stuff doesn't get rained on. My E350 is an ex-rental van, bought one year old with 25k miles for less than a new minivan. Can't beat that!

later,
spode.

Last edited:

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
i have an '83 ford E350 econoline(pass.) van. With the back bench seat removed it will haul three bikes and four people. sure...you get a whiff of gas from the bikes sometimes but it just puts you in the mood. And just to top it off it has the 4X4 conversion under it:cool: I WILL buy another van but with the diesel next time.

Top Bottom