Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Ok GG has my attention,First im 6'1' 170.39 yrs,rider since 8 yrs.Trail &woods.Just sold my kdx220 and am riding an old but good 85 yz250.(want a trail/hare scrambles bike)I currently live in tenn and am(maybe was) seriously lookin at a exc 200,but ive got a few dislikes,the low end seems a little touchy for real tight woods like here,and the PDS just seems to be to stiff, ktm guys dont freak i think its a sweet machine.In northern Idaho last summer there was a GG dealer and they looked good but i didnt think much about it untill reading this forum and seeing the good feed back on them.Here in tenn the closest dealer I can find is 200 miles away.Best i can tell from this forum a ec200 size wise is between a 200exc and a 250exc.Is this right,does anyone know were a dealer is close to nashville?I would really like the ktm200 if it had a little less hit down low ,sounds like the GG ec200 might have that(more electric).What about my hieght.Sorry lots of ?? but this dare to be different ec200 looks sweet its like there lookin at all bikes and coping the best qualities and making a serious machine.thats what i would do.Any feedback appreciated.I will be moving back to north Idaho in the near future that place is awesome.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
The GG frame is shared by all the models(200,250,300), and you are correct, its somewhere between a 200 and 250 KTM in overall size. I had a 200 EXC. They make good power but vibrate at high revs. The GG crank is balanced and much smoother. You will fit the bike fine, its still bigger than a KDX or 200 EXC, it just feels more natural than a KTM 250 for 6" and under riders. Keep searching and reading the old posts, and I'm sure you'll buy one.

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
If you go with the GG you won't be disappointed. I recently sold my '96 ktm 300 exc and bought an '01 GG 250 xc, awesome bike. I wanted to keep both but my wife wouldn't let me:( What are the woods like where you moving---Idaho? If they are more open than those TN hills & hollers then personally I would hang w/the 250. I lived in Tucson a few years. The larger CC's are great for the wide open and power-sucking-sand-washes but even the little xr 200 strokers step up to the plate to share your lunch! In my case its 'eat my lunch'. The GG bikes are real versitile. It sounds like, from what I have read, that you can have one bike that can be set up to do a very wide range of riding. You can have an xc bike w/ec spec engine and ignition mapping, or you can slap a 300 cylinder on the 250 engine and turn it into a tractor, or remove the reed spacer on the 300 and turn it into a rocket. Good luck!

PEOMAN

Jun 11, 2001
I am 6'2" tall and weigh in at 212 pounds race weight! I own a 1999 EC250 GasGas and it was a hoot to ride. I have ridden every one of the GasGas models-200, 250, and 300, including the fun trials bike. I found that the 200 was a bit lacking on the low end for me. The 300 was too much power in the tight woods of Arkansas and surronding riding areas. But the 250 was a combo of all. It was light weight with nice tractable power and would scream up on the top end, due to the 6 speed transmission. And yes you still have some options with the 250 to make it do what you want it to, at a little more cost. I have my GasGas for sale right now, because I found the ultimate scooter -- 2001 KTM EXC400 RFS. I wish I too could keep both bikes, but the electric start just outweighs that decision. Try one or mine, you might like it!

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Shawn Sharp ,really i would like to race some and stay in the 200 class.Northern Idaho reminds me of the smokys or west virginia,only a little rockyer and more evergreens.I need trees I was born in Ala. and lived in tenn.since about 8 yrs old.Did i understand right that a swap from a 200cc upper to a 250 might not be to hard on these GGs??If so I wonder what that might cost??Heres some cool pictures of people riding in the mountains of Idaho.This part of the state is a little drier ,more rocks less trees.WWW.motosports-boise.com click on the photos,also click on links go down to the very official RMD homepage cick on photos at top of list. AWESOME

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
Dogboy,

I don't know for sure about any of the specific engine mods, only what I have read in this forum. You might want to give those folks at ggna.com a call, they have been very helpful and polite when I have. I have never ridden the 200. Alot of these Alabama boys seem to like them!

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
The 200,250,300 motors share the same cases. The 250,300 share the same stroke, so a 250 is eaisly converted to a 300 with a cylinder, head and piston kit, even all the power valve parts are the same. The 200 has a different stroke and trans ratios, so a conversion would be much more involved. I love the 250. Its agile and revs almost as high as the 200 but will pull off the bottom better. The GG 200 still pulls better off the bottom than a KTM though. If its strictly a class decision then the GG 200 is your bike. One thing for sure, these are true woods racers. They steer around trees like nothing else.

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
Originally posted by GlennP
One thing for sure, these are true woods racers. They steer around trees like nothing else.

You've got that right!!! And if the tree is on the inside make sure your body is out of the way or the bike will go around it without you:o

Top Bottom