Doc

Two-Stroke Nut
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 9, 2000
Howdy,

It finally got warm enough here to consider riding, so I read the manual on my new 2000 GasGas EC250 (purchased last year and never run) and it specifies a very involved break-in procedure. I started the procedure with the "idle until warm" exercise. While it was idling, I started fiddling and found that the wiring is not quite right. When the headlight switch is ON (up) the left bulb in the taillight comes on, but not the headlight. When I applied the brake, the taillight bulb went out and no lights were on. When I turned the headlight switch OFF (down), no lights were on, regardless of the brake condition. While finishing the first part of the break-in, I convinced my self that the headlight and brake light switches were swapped (maybe the connectors were reversed, the connectors are different). But I now think that is not true. They both have one violet wire but the brake switch has a yellow wire with a green stripe, while the light switch has a solid yellow wire.

I'll go out and try to trace the wires in a while, but I thought I'd ask the DRN group first to see if I could save some time.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Doc - From memory,
Yellow = Main 12V power to light switch & headlight.
Violet = 12V power to tail light (one bulb), parking light and brake light switches.
White = 12V to brakelight (one bulb).
Yellow/Green = Ground

You may have a faulty voltage regulator. You'll have to remove the tank to access. I was told it can be replaced with one from Moose or MSR.

[This message has been edited by WoodsRider (edited 03-22-2001).]

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
While your tracing the wires, pay attention to the routing under the tank. Its tight under there in the front area, so make sure nothing is rubbing and reroute if neccessary.

The stock voltage regulator is rumored to be questionable. I had no trouble, but replaced mine with a Moose anyway on other riders advice. The Moose regulator is larger and more heavy duty, and will not fit in the frame space where the stock one is. It is eaisly mounted to the top triple clamp.

Some ECs came with wiring for directionals, like the Euro models. My XC is very straightfoward, sorry I don't remember the colors: Stator power to headlight switch, brake light switch, and regulator. Other side of headlight switch to headlight and one taillight bulb. Other side of brake light switch to other taillight bulb. Grounds from headlight, two tailight bulbs, regulator, and stator to frame. Good Luck.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Also, don't worry too much about the break in. Get a few heat/cool cycles on the bike and then ride it easy for a tank or two of fuel. It uses a forged piston, so warm it up good before riding. You don't have to pull and inspect the top end, no one does this. You will find its way to rich stock. Drop the main to a 178 after break in for the cool weather and a 175 when it gets hot.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

EK

Dec 3, 2000
When I first started looking at my 300XC, I noticed that wiring was rather odd in that some connectors and different colors on different sides of some connectors. As such, I started recording the wiring connectors as I notice them. Here they are so far:

Taillight harness
Connector toward light side
Yellow Bulb 1
Yellow Bulb 2
Black Common Ground
Connector from power side
Purple Tail light power
White Brake Light power
Yellow/Teal Ground

Headlight wires (aft looking Fwd)
Yellow/Blue Left
Purple Center
None Right
Headlight switch wires (aft looking Fwd) Yellow Front
Purple Rear

Keep in mind your machine may be different.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

Doc

Two-Stroke Nut
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 9, 2000
Howdy,

Thanks all for your help. Jim at Smackover sent me the wiring diagram and I had the brake switch leads plugged into the headlight and vice-versa. Seems like they might want to make that harder to do. I'll lable mine.

Cheers,
Doc

Top Bottom