riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I am new to the world of dirt bikes so pardon me if I have my terminology wrong...The teeth on my shifter arm is stripped so I have to replace it (it keeps slipping) which is no big deal but I noticed the teeth on the part the arm grips to is also stripping. This looks like a huge job to replace. Any tips? Thanks.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I apologize for the multiple post here but I left out obvious information the rules require :)

I have a 94 KDX 200, stock minus airbox mod.

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
Sounds like you are speaking of the splines on the shaft going into the transmission and the splines on the foot gear shifter. Replacing the gear shifter is the right idea. Changing the tranny shaft is a whole other idea. I'd try a new shifter on the old shaft and make sure the new one is tightened properly - it may work. You might try to clean up the spines on the shaft a bit with the edge of a small file if you think its worth a try. Good luck.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
On the H model it's not a huge deal to change the shaft. You have to remove the right side cover, the clutch and on or two other minor bits and the new shaft will slide right in. No case splitting is required. I suspect yours is similar.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by riverz
I apologize for the multiple post here but I left out obvious information the rules require :)

I have a 94 KDX 200, stock minus airbox mod.
Explanation of multiple post: same post in different forums. Additional post because you forgot something or couldn't edit your post - makes sense ;)

Just thought I'd add that in - far as I can see you did nothing wrong. :)

Have a look at www.buykawasaki.com for a diagram of the tranny of your bike - maybe it'll come clear as to whether it's a major or minor operation.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Easy to change shaft, harder to pay for.

Yeah I’d try new after market lever. Make sure it clamps tight, if it needs some help then put it in a vice & run a hacksaw through the closed split to widen it & make it ‘bite’ more

Then clean spline, fit to best area & apply Loctite on spline itself. Worked on mine after a bit of fiddling to get the technique right.

If you have to replace the shaft spline then check out new price, but you could just find a 2nd hand one from a wrecker that is in good condition & is the same size or longer, then cut to size & weld (carefully) onto original RHS bit.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
New shifter and old shaft is definitely the way to try to go. Search the old forums as this has been discussed several times in the past and members had clever ideas to make the new shifter "lock" up with the old shaft. Also search for kick starter problems for many of those problems also concern the fit on a splined shaft and the solutions may work for you. Good Luck!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
It's been my experience that while you can make the old shaft "limp along" for awhile, eventually the splines degrade to the point where nothing will grab it tightly

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Thank you everything for the great advice. I replaced my shifter with a new after market, tightened it up good and it works like a charm. I used the advice of a small file on the shaft and it grips perfectly now.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
If you experience any more probs (sometimes the wear on the shaft is uneven, and a perfectly tight arm can suddenly become loose again - very frustrating) definitely follow David's advice about using a hacksaw on the split to widen the gap and give you more clamping movement. Then buy a high tensile bolt that is long enough to protrude past the clamp so that you can get a nut onto it. Tighten the bolt as much as you dare using the clamp's internal thread, then tighten the nut. This acts as a thread lock and backup that takes some of the strain off the mild steel thread.

Using this method, and maybe a little loctite, you should be able to hold a really badly worn shaft.
---------------------------------------
Boot
Melbourne, Oz
85 Virago 1000
91 KDX200
http://www.copperleife.com/craig/bikes/

Top Bottom