weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
My bud has a 2000 XR400R that is dualsported.Stock 15/45 gearing from day one.It will cruise 60mph without any real effort.The only reason I would go up on the front sprocket is if you are gonna do major hwy miles.Remember going larger on the front sprocket is gonna put a greater demand on your clutch.My buddy has ridden it to work many times about 25 miles each way on the Long Island Expressway.The bike will top out over 80mph and is still good for the trails and dirt.My dirt model DRZ on the hwy next to him at around 60 is no doubt buzzing higher in the rpm band.For me its only short jaunts on the hwy (10-15 miles).I say try the stock gearing out first on the hwy you will be surprised.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
Sorry I am a jackass.This was supposed to be a reply to the XR400 dualsported thread and I made it a topic instead."pop"(head being removed from ass)

klymr

Feb 28, 2001
responses to gearing question.

Hi weekendtoy-

got your reply. I will take your advise and not change the gearing till I try it on the highway. By the way, what oil do all the XR400 guys out there use?
I have been running castrol 10/40 but I've been told I should be running some oil specifically for motorcycles like Honda oil. I bought some Motul 5100 10/40 on the suggestion of the cycle shop. I havent changed it out yet.
Any feedback on this subject?

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
On the gearing, the stock gearing is pretty tall. It will pull 80 easy, but top "cruising" speed is probably around 60 or so. If you plan to ride on the road almost all the time, then you might consider taller gearing. Otherwise, the stock gearing should be pretty close to what you want for offroad performance and highway cruising speeds.

For the oil, I use Pro Honda GN4. It works great in my bike and you can feel the difference in the tranny and how much smoother it shifts. HP4 is a synthetic version, that cost 2x as much. I will stick with GN4 personally. However, any "4-stroke" motor oil will have additives to help lube the tranny. Therefore, in my opinion, any "4-stroke" motorcycle oil will be better than automotive oils. Either way, change the oil and filter VERY often, and keep your airfilter clean too. You can't go wrong. Good luck.

Top Bottom