gsxrk7

Apr 8, 2007
Wasnt sure if this was the proper forum to ask this question, so if its not I apologize.

I was looking to pickup a pair of "Alpinestars S-MX 2 Air Carbon glove " and was curious if these were good mx gloves?

I pretty much sport alpinestar gear for my street bikes and really do support the brand but dont know to much about these gloves.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
My ideal glove would have real leather palms, some padding on top, some ventilation, and no other gimmicks. How do these gloves fit this description?

gsxrk7

Apr 8, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
My ideal glove would have real leather palms, some padding on top, some ventilation, and no other gimmicks. How do these gloves fit this description?

This is what I have gathered from there website,

Carbon fiber knuckle protection
Clarino® synthetic leather palm with full-grain leather reinforcement
Hook-and-loop Velcro® wrist closure with TPR logo
Silicone printing on fingertips for increased grip
Lightweight and comfortable
Motocross styling

Default.jpg

They also have an upgraded version "S-Moto" that is all leather but perforated on the fingers/palms...etc for effecient cooling.
octaneblk.jpg

I guess my biggest question is who has used these gloves? To me they seem more like a street glove but they do say that its an MX glove.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
Motocross styling doesnt really mean motocross use. Im sure that they might be good in a supermoto application where you have to worry about ashpalt But on the dirt their not really neccesary. and unfortunatly alpinestar doesnt sell motocross gear in the states so getting some of their MX gear here is hard to do. try the Troy lee design SE glove or a pair of shift gloves both are my top two favorites

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The knuckle guards are a little excessive. It's pretty common to rub your knuckles off in a street bike crash as well as the tops of your feet. Myself and my street bike friends all seem to have done this on pavement, but myself or my dirt friends have never had the same problem off-road. When I bought off-road gloves, I looked for light, durable, and less expensive (not cheap, but less expensive). I'm still on my first pair of gloves, Fox Pawtectors from 6 years ago or so. My fingers poke through the ends of 5 out of 10 fingers and the palms are nearly worn off. I'm in the market for a new pair and these gloves have tought me what to look for. Perforations seem like they would let sand and dust in the glove which could get uncomfortable. The silicone finger tips rub off in 2 rides. The knuckle guards just seem like a waste of money. Leather or whatever abrasion resistant material between the index finger and thumb is a must, this is a very high wear area.

pradami

Sep 1, 2006
Those gloves to look a little bit excessive. The thicker leather looks like they would get hot and sweaty pretty quick. As mentioned above get some TLD SE gloves. I have those and they work good. They have good protection on the top if that is what you are looking for, and they also keep your hands cool. The gripping is also perfect for me. I don't know what your preference is on how much grip you need. All i know is that im glad that i broke down and spent the extra couple bucks for the more expensive gloves. I had always gotten $15-$20 gloves and they would last a little over a day or 2 with my riding. So far the TLD SE gloves have lasted around a month. Good luck! and update!!

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
Fox bombers are great, especialy if you dont have hand guards because they have some plastic knuckle protection. I have the '05s and my friend has the '06s and they are both really comfortable and flexible, doesnt feel like you have a bulky glove. they go for around 30-40 bucks.
fox-07-bomber-glv.jpg

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
What's with all the knuckle gimmicks? When I fall it seems I always put my hands out. The palms and fingers suffer more IMO. The trick with gloves is finding ones that fit. Not too tight, not too loose (both are bad news). Also, comfort in the wrist area is important as well. Lastly, I don't like bulky gloves. Too thick a palm is annoying. Best advice is to try several styles on. Remember, your not going out to build snow-men.

Good luck.

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
yep, me and my buddies do a lot of gravel/woods/smashing into things so knuckle protecion is a bonus. plus, you dont actually feel that its there really.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Your right. I should have asked what kind of riding/racing its for (although he said for MX in his question). Big honkin' knuckle guards and bark busters are pretty gay for racing MX - IMO, but would be just the ticket for 'smashing into things'.

Good luck.

Top Bottom