TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
The vibration on my KX has gotten to the point that I cannot stand it anyone have any tips or upgrades to significantly reduce the vibration through the bars? I have the stock steel bars and stock tripple clamps although their is no rubber mounting and I bought it(the bike) brand new are they supose to be rubber mounted. the only thing that I have changed is the grips I went to PRO GRIP's cross gel grips and that helped a little but one good moto and my hands are toast.

my main question is would a set of aluminun 7/8" Renthals have any reduction in vibration. I like the idea of the Fasst flex bars but I am just a weekend warrior so price is a little of an issue.

Phil72

Jan 9, 2004
My 2003 CR250 also has/had the vibs. It had Renthal 7/8 handlebars, Fastway vibe inserts and Renthal soft full diamond grips. I changed to some Protaper handlebars and some Spider grips. As I was checking out each mod for damping, the Protapers were a little better (10-15%), the Fastway inserts did not help at all (w/Protapers) so I left them off, but the Spider grips did help (25-30%). I have had them on for about 3 rides now and am very happy. BTW the old setup was on the bike for about a year, the Renthal grips could have lost there damping quality - it was that or the fact that Im getting old (41)

Phil

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I think I am just going to go to some Renthals since I do not want to change the tripple clamp for 1 1/8" bars. Those vibration inserts are a little pricy and I am not sure how well they would work. Does anyone know of a company that makes elastomer bushings for my handle bar mounts? mine are mounted solid no rubber whatsoever.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I had vibration in my bars until I switched to Pro Tapers. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it helped me big time! I tried the adapters for the stock top triple clamp, but it was too high for my liking. I ended up buying an Applied Works top clamp for 1 1/8" bars and have been extremely happy with the combination. IMHO, a little more money, a lot more performance.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
well yeah I did not want to hear that I may have to change the top tripple clamp I figured those universal bar clamps would be a little to much rise. but like I said I only race maybe 3 times a year I am just a weekend warrior and I ride anything rangeing from SX style tracks to tight single track and a dune or too.

Thanks for the reply anyways I probably will go all out for a new top clamp for 1 1/8" bars of some brand

Anyone tried those Flexx handle bars by Fasstco?

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Well, come to think of it, maybe you can use your stock triple clamp. The reason I had to change mine is that the bar mounts and clamp are monolithic on the stock YZ clamp. If the mounts on your KX are not part of the clamp, then you could just use new mounts.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Try filling your bars with silicone, it may help a bit. Also, make sure that all of your engine mounts are tight and that your crank is tight as well!

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
va_yzrider said:
Well, come to think of it, maybe you can use your stock triple clamp.
then you could just use new mounts.
Thats all I had to do on my KX. Bars and Applied mounts (came w/ rubber bushings)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Have you looked at the ProTapes SE's?? "SE" stands for 7/8's. Im currently using ProTapers w/an Applied triple clamp, i did notice a slight difference in vibration over the stock bars.. Best thing i have ever done for vibration is lighten up on the "death grip" Dont hold on so tight, plus a good cardio work out helps..
Hope this helps you out,
Rick

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Filling the bars with silicone does help cut the vibes down. NOTHING vibrates like my 99CR! Soft grips, silicone in my Tag 2's, and not using a death-grip on the bars has helped alot.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Any cheap silicone will work. I have had mine in the bars for about a year. It never really hardens up. I guess that's what gives the dampening effect. With the bars vertical, I filled from the bottom up. It isn't a night and day difference, but noticeable. Well worth the $2 investment and 10 minutes.

Top Bottom