GPS Units...anybody have any advice?

tricci

May 14, 2002
Looking into buying a GPS unit for trail riding. Anybody have any advice on this subject?

Which GPS unit to buy?
Mounts for your bike?
Personal experience?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Tony,
I have a Garmin Emap, that I am very happy with. It features a way to download maps/tracks onto your computer. Cycoactive.com is the place to go for GPS mounts. The emap is reasonably inexpensive as well, another cool feature is setting waypoints, so that an arrow will tell you the direction back to camp.
Good luck :thumb:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Tony,

I'm using a Garmin III+ and like it. I have an e-start KTM so I have it wired into the battery which is extra nice. I picked it up on E-Bay for under $200.

One of the biggest issues with a bar mounted GPS is the vibration effects the battery contacts.

I added an external amplified antenna which helps in the woods as well (ebay $24) it's about the size of a quarter and works great!

I did a "do it yourself" GPS trip across Baja two years ago and it was great www.bajagpsguide.com

For the experts in GPS for bikes contact www.cycoactive.com they are super nice and super knowledgeable

Send me a personal message if you want pictures or more info

Rod

tricci

May 14, 2002
All that info is great guys but it is all Garmin products. I'd like to see some posts for any of the Magellan products. Like the Meridian Platinum or Sport Track Pro.

Just trying to get all the info before making up my mind.

I'm also trying to justify spending a few extra hundred dollars on a GPS unit with the mapping capabilities as opposed to the directional units. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if I can use it in my car as well as trial riding. You know like navigating through New York city. That kind of thing.

What do you guys think?
Thanks again guys.

Tony

Top Bottom