ryanseattle

Dec 2, 2001
I'm in the market for a new bike. Currently live in WA but might move to California in a year. I found a web page, the District 36 Motorcycle Competition Northern California/Nevada dated april of 2000 that says ALL 2 strokes and ALL KTM's are red sticker bikes only. I've read some other info that said a ktm 200 could green sticker? Where canI find out for sure? Thanks!

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
It will be a gamble if you get a red or green. The VIN# is what keys the DMV to issue the sticker. I think it is the 8th digit in the VIN. If there is a C or a 3 then you get a red sticker. But, the DMV is not pefrect here in the Golden State!! I have a 99 GasGas 200 and my VIN# did not have a C or 3 in the 8th digit, so I got a green sticker.......for how long remains to be seen!

I really would not concern myself to much with the sticker issue. And my reason for this is: If you are a woods rider you can ride all year in the local mountains above 3500ft here in Nor.Cal

If I am out of line here or passing bum scoop someone correct me.......

Rick

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Sounds legit to me. I bought the 400EXC for the green sticker. A couple of the Husabergs and a couple Husqivarnas are getting the magic stickers as well. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot on what you get.

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
The new 02 KTM 520 and 400 EXC/MXCs that are sold in California are green sticker bikes. KTM just makes some jetting adjustments and they pass the test for green stickers. I think they are designated with a G. For example, 520 ECX-G. Husqvarna is also advertising that its 02 570 TE will be green sticker.

Now, the problem like others talked about is that the DMV does not have a clue about the program and occasionaly issue the wrong stickers out. When I ride at places that check for stickers, such as Gorman, we usually just arrive before the ranger gets there. Once your in the park, they are only really after the people that are not using sparkys and the pit squids speeding around the camps on quads.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by Ramski
The new 02 KTM 520 and 400 EXC/MXCs that are sold in California are green sticker bikes.

The EXC is the only model getting the stickers. The MXC is not a "G" model. Maybe for 03 but not 02's

GeoffStahl

Nov 28, 2001
CA Green Sticker Info

Here is more info on CA green stickers...

The website explaining the green and red stickers with dates for riding areas is here:

<http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/ofhwymc.htm>

I would always check the VIN of the bike I am buying (the 8th digit should NOT be a '3' or a 'C' for it to be green sticker legal). Even if the DMV sends you a red sticker by mistake you have a very good case to get this fixed. There has been mistakes on issuing green stickers where they should have been red. While you might get lucky, I suspect the DMV will rectify these problems in the future, so I would not count on this.

Also, there is LOTS of misinformation out there. Some I have run into...

"All four strokes are now green sticker legal." This is not true. The list is VERY short (like 15 bikes). The EXC-G is one of the only performance bikes that is green sticker legal. BTW, only the G model CA specific bikes are green sticker legal, a 49 state bike will likely be a red sticker bike, so be careful when buying.

"No one is really enforcing the green sticker rules, except on bad air days." This was actually true for some riding areas this past year. Speaking with the rangers at Hollister Hills, they informed me that the last two years have been warning years and this year they are planning to strictly enforce the green sticker only rules during this (2002) summer's riding system (starting June 1st). More info is at <http://www.hollisterhills.com/redsticker.html>. Also note, different riding areas have different green sticker only season (some from Feb to Nov).

I guess that is all the info I have. Being green sticker legal in CA was important for me given the riding areas around San Jose. If the areas around you are open all year for all bikes or there are no state areas around you, it maybe less important.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I used to care about red/green sticker, but honestly, I've ridden at Hollister in the dead of summer, and I vowed "Never Again!". It's plain miserable- it's dusty, hot, and the ground is harder than cement. Traction is virtually nil. I guess it all depends on where you live.

ryanseattle

Dec 2, 2001
Hey thanks..

Thanks for the time you all put into my question. I guess its gonna be green sticker bike for me. I'll most likely be living around the sacramento area. Not sure about the specifics concerning the stickers in that area (I'll research that in a bit) but green sticker just seems like the logical way to go for me personally. Thanks again
Rich

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom