stevet

Jan 11, 2005
just when I think I have this firgured out....!

my understanding was that if you wanted a green sticker, that all bikes 2002 and older were green sticker bikes, regardless of them being 2 or 4 stroke. thats why I was looking at an 02 RM 250 because I wanted a 2-stroke...and I want a green sticker bike (I want to be able to ride in the summer).

the 02 RM I been looking at has never been registered, the owner (he's the 2nd owner of the bike) road it at private tracks/riding areas, not state off-road parks.

today I was told by someone that if I buy that bike, being that I'm not the original owner, that if I go to the DMV to register it that I will be given a red-sticker. That only the owner who bought the bike new is the one that can have a green sticker. I tried calling the DMV but after being put on hold a couple of times, I hung up. :bang:

I'm sure I will end up with a 4-stroke in the future but currently I want a 2-stroke.

any input would be appreciated.

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
The great red/green sticker delima

The only way to get an older bike with a green sticker is to buy one that was made before 1998. Then you are good. Even thumpers have red stick limits on them. If the 4 stroke doesn't meet the AQMD standards for emissions. Then it is a red sticker bike. For example. Two 05' CRF250's one an X, the other an R. The R would be a red sticker becasue it doesn't have all the smog crap on it like the X does. I hope this helped.

On a side note. I have read where someone has gone in and was issued a green sticker. Good luck on this one.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it not having ever been registered in the 1st place, but I know that the "original owner" angle is not true unless they've changed something very recently. I bought a used 2002 2-stroke and the green sticker went right along with it ... plus it was purchased and registered out of state previously so my registering it in CA was the first time our lovely state saw the bike. I think someone's giving you bad information. As far as I know there's no reason why you won't get a green sticker when you go to register it ... 2002 or older get green stickers.

Go here for info - it spells it all out: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Eel is right up to 2002 and as long as you have papers or a DMV Bill Of Sale form (go to the web for the PDF). I always use a Bill of Sale even with papers.

Bike wise, I got a Polini Works 2001 bike for my son and it was owned by two others and used only for racing, so it never went to DMV. I went to dmv and filled out the paperwork and they inspected the numbers and issued a Green Sticker. I did have a problem in the fact that it didn’t have a frame number, so I had one extra step of going to CHP. That turned out to be a big step, but the officer finally approved the bike and stamped the frame and we got the from DMV sticker. For my other son, we got one of the 2002 race season Plano Team Honda CR125s that had the Plano paperwork from Texas. I had no problems with that one at all. I had to take the bike and it was inspected by one of the DMV staff and we got the sticker for that one too.

Good luck, It can be done.

**** Make sure you have both of the owners info on the papers or records of bill of sale from the 1st guy to the 2nd. I did have a problem with that on the Polini. I only had a bill of sale from the second guy and papers in the name of the 1st owner. I had to attempt to find the 1st owner and do a transfer from 1st to 2nd prior to completing DMV efforts. I never could find the 1st owner though. I even had to send certified mail as records and get the bike Bonded. You will not have any of those problem if you have the actual paperwork and a record of the transfers. The actual paperwork should have the 1st owners name unless it was a team owned bike and in a teams/Co's name. Our Plano Honda was that way and it went through with a bill of sale from the holder of the bike.

Ed

Last edited:

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
I got the info off of the DMV website. But what I read was before 1998. Eh. Who cares as long as you get your green sticker. Good luck and have fun.

ColoradoRay

Sponsoring Member
Oct 6, 2003
According to the DMV clerk at work ( I work at a mc dealer) if the 8th digit of the vin is a C or an 8, it is a red sticker unless it is 2002 or older.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
ColoradoRay said:
According to the DMV clerk at work ( I work at a mc dealer) if the 8th digit of the vin is a C or an 8, it is a red sticker unless it is 2002 or older.

Yep :nod: Doesn't matter if you're the first, second or even tenth owner - it's the bike that gets the sticker, not you.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Get this,,, I found a guy up in the San Jose area who just got his plates for his CR500. He has posted the pics for proof.

Xrfunguy

Feb 16, 2005
my brother bought his 1999 cr250 in 2002 when he first registerd it he got a red sticker and he was not happy about that. Then in 2003 they changed it and he got his green sticker in the mail. the sticker follows the bike. hope this helps. :boss:

X

xyourlocaldjx

i got me a 2003 cr 125 and a 2004 crf 450. both green sticker :)
Legal green stickers too.. none of that "sticker from a different bike" bs.

just get a bike made in canada... VIN is totally different.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Dude, where's my car?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xyourlocaldjx said:
just get a bike made in canada... VIN is totally different.

Not a good idea.
Kalifornia won't let you register a Canadian bike at all. :ohmy:

Top Bottom