atmasters

Mar 19, 2007
Hey how’s it going? I was wondering what this might be? I just did an oil change and my oil was grey. I just came back from an hour ride. There were shavings in my on my drain plug and it looked like shavings in my rad. I did not lose any fluid from my rad. Any ideas?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If the oil was grey in color with a metallic look to it, that usually indicates a worn clutch. Especially if the metallic particles are non magnetic.

If the particles are magnetic, that could be worn gears or something that has broken inside of the engine and is being ground up. Don't run the engine until you find the problem or it could self destruct.

If the oil is milky in color, that usually indicates a bad water pump seal.

Make sure you are using 50/50 coolant and distilled water in your radiators. If you are using regular water, this can cause oxidation problems in your coolant system. This can show up as small flakes in the coolant.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Ol'89r said:
If the oil was grey in color with a metallic look to it, that usually indicates a worn clutch. Especially if the metallic particles are non magnetic.

If the particles are magnetic, that could be worn gears or something that has broken inside of the engine and is being ground up. Don't run the engine until you find the problem or it could self destruct.

If the oil is milky in color, that usually indicates a bad water pump seal.

Make sure you are using 50/50 coolant and distilled water in your radiators. If you are using regular water, this can cause oxidation problems in your coolant system. This can show up as small flakes in the coolant.

i use anti-freeze in my radiators, but i assume thats what you meant by "coolant".

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Huh? Using straight water? It actually works better than anti-freeze/water mix in the short term, but doesn't have corrosion inhibitors necessary to protect your engine in the long term.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
sixds said:
what about the water in water coolers? is that fine to use?

Not unless it is marked DISTILLED. It is most likely just purified drinking water.

Regular water or drinking water will cause corrosion in your aluminum cases. It attacks and eats the cases. You can buy distilled water at your local grocery store for about a buck a gallon.

Kawicam250.

Yes, antifreeze and coolant are the same thing. Look on the bottle. It should say it is safe for aluminum engines.

Top Bottom