Guess what-newest issue of MXA is great!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Well, let's see how long this stays put...

I just got my MXA-subscription hasn't run out yet-and it is better than it has been in years. I'm serious, it had fun nostalgia articles,some great photo pages, decent race coverage, some personalities pieces and a pretty cool TM test. The hard core haters can say what they want, but if the mag is turning around I'll be looking to re-new instead of drop.

To the group over at MXA, good job. It was better than my last few issues of RacerX...

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah I got mine yesterday (my sub doesn't run out for awhile either). Even though I've got a soft spot for nostalgia (CZs and Maicos can put tears in my eyes), I'm not getting suckered again. I'm not going to bash MXA anymore. But at the same time, I won't give them props only to be let down later. And never, ever, again will I shake Tim's hand while he's still pissing on my leg.

Oh, I almost forgot...:)

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Too little, too late.:moon:
Jody's "box" alone is enough reason to never even allow the rag near my rear in the outhouse. After what they said about Bonds, among other things notwithstanding their TERRIBLY poor understanding of and butchering of physics, mechanical engineering, and everything else--I'm sorry. It's plain pathetic. Always will be. :silly:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Aw come on nephron, it's not that bad. This last issue was very good. What have you noticed that they have messed up with physics? Tell me, I'd like to look over it again.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The pictures are ok,they haven't found a way to mess them up.:moon: As far as articles go,i would have to give the supermarket tabloids more credibility.;)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by steve125
The pictures are ok,they haven't found a way to mess them up.:moon: As far as articles go,i would have to give the supermarket tabloids more credibility.;)

Really!? What article out of this past issue are speaking of-or is this just going along w/ a bash session? Have you read the newest edition? It looks as if they are trying to change a bit. This thread is about the latest issue being decent-please correct me if I am mistaken-anybody, please...

Actually, do the norm and start a flame in the flame forum-keep this one open for anybody that happened to read the last issue and noticed the change in style-one that was a bit more similar to older issues (80's style).

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Swade is right. Lets not continue to bash them if they are changing their style. I mean if RacerX goes down the tubes are you still going to read it? I doubt it.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Even though they have no credibility in my eyes, I have to admit that they do seem to be trying to change. Whether it will be a change of substance, or just on the surface (putting a pretty face on a cow) remains to be seen. At least they did change the ridiculous "twenty question" test format.

Personally, I think they are paying attention to all the bashing that they get from sites like this, and they are trying to listen, I just don't think they can truly put out a quality publication with accurate info with the staff that they have.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Spanky, do I detect a crack in your armor? It sounds like you might even look at the front cover. JK, I, along with everyone would like to see MXA improve. I like the mag and if they get better that is just a bonus. Granted they do have some stuff that is just plain STUPID. Jody's box for one is usually just plain dumb. I know he could write a good column, I just don't know why he doesn't.....

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
I totally agree with CR Swade. I think someone may be waking up over there at MXA. I've probably purchased every issue they have ever published, but in the last couple of years they became more of a catalogue with a couple of mini articles thrown in. The last couple seem to have been a lot better. The thing they still have on everyone else are years of experience and access to the top pros bikes. Racer X has the lifestyle thing covered but they seem to be running out of ideas and they don't test bikes. I hope MXA keeps improving and gets back to being the top mag again.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
Spanky, do I detect a crack in your armor? It sounds like you might even look at the front cover.
Even though I don't agree with almost all of their testing and technical articles, I still get the magazine (one of many that I read), just because I love to read anything and everything about this sport. I truly wish that they would become a respectable and reliable magazine, but as long as they are owned by Hi Torque, I just don't see that happening. They have a history of only caring about profits, and if that means the readers will get false or erroneous info, then they are apperantly willing to make that sacrifice. I can't think of a single Hi Torque publication other than Cycle World that ever consistantly delivers accurate, unbiased info.

MXA is still useful for those that want a monthly catalogue, with a few articles thrown in for laughs...
bash.gif

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
MXA's decision awhile back to not include adverts that use sex to sell products tells me that there is hope, and that profits are NOT the only thing they have thought about.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
MXA's decision awhile back to not include adverts that use sex to sell products tells me that there is hope, and that profits are NOT the only thing they have thought about.
Good point Jaybird. That is one of tha main reasons I buy MXA. I can't have my 3 1/2 year old thumbing through my mag, which he does, and come up on the type of advertising that they have in RacerX or some of the others out there.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
They have had that policy for quite some time now-it's a decent policy. As far as Jody's Box, the guy is probably a little burnt out. If you look at this columns since the early days, his writing is cyclical-good, then a little more subdued then he rehashes an old piece only to start on new material. Overall though, his column is th e first thing that I read when I get my MXA.

Nobody has produced any example of this months issue being inaccurate or full of drivel. It's a pretty decent issue-I think that they might be listening:cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Wade - Are you refering to the March 2002 issue with the CRF480 on the cover?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
No Rich, it's the April issue. It has a TM250 test in it as well as some great vintage bike stuff and some full page race photos (new and old).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by CR Swade
. . . Nobody has produced any example of this months issue being inaccurate or full of drivel.
er, the picture of the Greeves is backwards . . . :confused:

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
MXA may be pedantic and inaccurate, but don't ever say they're not influential. Heck, in my case, I purposefully did not entertain the idea of buying a Yamaha in 2001 because of the MXA/Yamaha deceitful connection.:debil: I agree with you all though, and subsribe nevertheless, because of their stand on having a magazine sin chicas.:cool:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by XRpredator

er, the picture of the Greeves is backwards . . . :confused:

You're killin' me Pred, killin' me I tell ya:confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by CR Swade
Nobody has produced any example of this months issue being inaccurate or full of drivel. It's a pretty decent issue-I think that they might be listening:cool:

I finally got to skim through it at 7-11 this morning while waiting in line. It took all of 30 seconds to find this gem. On page 42 the picture in the lower right hand corner has the brilliantly inaccurate and drivel packed caption Works madness: Yamaha uses a road race developed diaphragm to pressurize the exhaust on Ferry's YZ426. This has been around since the Doug Henry days

When I get back into town I'll weasel a free copy out of my newsstand friend and I'll dig in deeper. But frankly it's like shooting fish in a tank with a rail gun so the novelty has pretty much warn off.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, Rich, You're probably right. I also doubt it pressurizes the exhaust but what do you think that thing is anyway? It does connect to the exhaust but I have no idea as to what it is? Any ideas?? :think

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom