Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My Dad is retiring and a Handheld GPS unit is one of the ideas I am floating around for a gift for him. I have absolutely no knowledge of these units good or bad so for some of you folks up to speed on them I'd appreciate some tips on what to look for and what to avoid!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Here go here http://www.thegpsstore.com/ and check stuff out

Difinitly look for WAAS, difinitly get one that will up/download to your or his computer, outside of that they are all pretty much the same

also snag him the TOPO USA 4.0, great program that works with alot of handhelds

fun stuff

One more thing, Garmin is what a lot of guys are using, I have a Megellan sport trax Pro with a bar mount for the bike

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
My buddy and I both purchased Garmin Rino 120's last month. They come with a built in 2 way radio that also reports your location to other nearby Rinos. Overall it seems to be a good unit but Im not sure the radio is worth the extra $$$$.

Also if you have the money get him a set of rechargeable batteries. The Rino kills batteries in about 12 hours.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll start looking this weekend and I'm sure I'll have more questions. This unit will never see a trail ride as he will most likely use it primarily on his Cabin Cruiser out on the lake.

Top Bottom