Darthwader

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 2, 2006
Hey Everyone,
Have a mild dilemna and need some feedback - I tried my first Hare Scramble (Battle Creek) and had a blast. I was slow and it grates on me to see the result but, it was my first one and I wasn't sure what to expect. I'll do another just to prove to myself I'm not THAT much of a boat anchor! :| Anyway, a good friend (Aaron Wright) is big into the Enduro's and has been talking about them for a while - I'm planning on hitting Kalkaska to try one as well. Family and work are only going to allow contesting one series or the other though.

I'll know better once this coming weekend is over and I have a frame of reference for both but, in the interim I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts on the two venues are? Pro's and con's of each in everyone's opinion? If it matters, I ride a WR450 which didn't seem to be a poplular bike choice for the HS's. Looked like the MX bikes were the general order. I realize it will ultimately be a personal decision but, I'm just wondering what general thoughts on each type of race is.

Welcome any input!

Darthwader

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 2, 2006
Answer is...

...this wasn't quite the topic for a lot of conversation :blah: but, I have my answer. Definately like the Enduros!! Rode the Kalkaska Treetop and had an absolute BLAST! Kicked my butt and I was dog tired by the end - that virgin stuff is tough going. Loved it though and learned more in one day than in the last year of riding, can't wait for the next one.

I know I'll hit some more Hare Scrambles because that was a ton of fun too but, the thinking (read: timekeeping) aspect of the Enduro adds a whole 'nother dimension that ramps the challenge factor even higher. Plus, that was some awesome trail we rode. I like the 'new' of the trail over the course of the event vs. the 'track' aspect. Just personal opinion.

Thanks to LMC and Tom for all their work, they've certainly hooked me into the sport! :laugh: Look forward to meeting many of you, sorry my first topic was such a flop. :|

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
I'm really thinking about diving into this. I'll probably be geared more toward enduros. But I need to see what they are first hand to really guage what would fit me better. that and learn to not kill myself trying to win all the damn time.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The next enduro on July 16, Jackpine and it should be a lot like the Kalkaska one.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
A friend of AW?? I did not think he had any friends. I know his family hangs out with him, but they have to.... :laugh:
Just kidding... Aaron and I competed against each other last year and still remain friends.

Welcome to enduros! I have ridden both types of events, but prefer enduros...better trail, less intense traffic, and the enduro experience. Riding is a lot of fun, but you need to arrive the day before the event to hang out at the campfires and spend time with your friends. The final chapter of the weekend is bench racing after the event.

I agree with FredT, Jack Pine will be very similar to the Tree Tops. He and I will be camped in the southwest corner of the field (just south of the starting line).

Darthwader

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 2, 2006
:) Yeah, I've known AW since 3rd grade - we grew up together and lived just down the road. Funny thing is our Mothers both still live in the same places and we meet out there sometimes to ride (they have 70'ish acres between them). He got me back into riding (now racing too) - my wife loves him for that. :fft: J/K

Glad to be in the Enduro's...the more time that passes and the more I reflect on the ride the more excited I get for the next one. I think the atmosphere is a draw too - lots of camaraderie and there is a place for everyone (regardless of age or skill). Like Wolfchild said though - just have to temper not killing myself at this point. :laugh:

Jack Pine is on the calender and looking forward to it. Hope to meet some DRN folks while we are there (I'll try to look you guys up). Fatherandson, I see you are in Lansing - I am too, just up the road in DeWitt.

Good talking to you all!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
See you at Jack Pine!

I actually live in Williamston. I am always looking for a close place to go riding. I told AW that when he needs help breakin in new trail around his new house to give me a call.

Mike

Top Bottom