High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
How about Troy Maxel and family from Springfield? They used to race the indoor series in Columbus during the winter (a couple years ago, I think).

I went up to their house and raced at Dirt Country a few years ago.

OleDrewBudd

Jul 3, 2001
i believe my buddy rich knows Troy, I'm not much of a motox racer, more of a woods rider b/c i grew up poor, and unfortunatly its a money sport early in a young guys life.. I shy away from the tracks b/c I want to do every tripple and not ride away from things(it bothers me) so I stay in the woods usually, made it to NewVienna last year a couple times and Honda hills thats about it..

Luve the woods since I grew up in WV riding powerline climbs... Like in Wellsville,OH, however I read it was closed and have yet to know for sure?

later....

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
nah, the CR linkage won't work gomer, but thanks anyway, I really appreciate the offer.

We're not snowbound here though, it was up in the 60's today ;)

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Gomer - It's a small world. I work with Troy Maxel from Springfield(International Truck). We actually work in Sidney, Ohio. He sold his bike late last year (after it broke down 20 times while riding at Wayne National one day). His kids still have their bikes. Troy did say that he was thinking of getting a new bike (WR250f or something).

Bruce McCrary - We have riden at HM quite a bit. Bear Wallow is the best of the HM trails.

OleDrewBudd - My wife (Wendy) likes Wayne National. She has ridden with us at HM (Bear Wallow & Rock House). Bear Wallow is fairly tough for her, this is where she broke her pelvis in two places last March. Rock House is more to her liking, but pretty boring for the rest of us. It does not have nearly the difficulty/quality of trails as Bear Wallow.

Wish we could meet you guys on the 5th & 6th but we are going to the LL spring ride.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Kelvin...spank him and tell him it was from me. Be prepared for him to repond in kind. Is he still running that scam where he sells the kids then they come back?

Jeff...I think it's in the 60s in my refrigerator. ;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Andrew your PM's ar full, so I'll just leave this here for ya, you're more than welcome to park and ride around the course, just note that there is one field back there that has recently been planted with crops so just kinda keep off to the edge when riding through it. I'll be back around 3:00 after I get off of work, jason might be around out there, I'll let him know that you're coming down.

I put the bike back together last night to see how it'd run, I think it'll do for a weekend's worth of ridin'.

OleDrewBudd

Jul 3, 2001
Ahhh thats to bad you have 2 work till 3 we should be there till at least 5:00 maybe do a fast ride before we go? ....

LOL i"m not sure how to find the entrance into the woods, oh well I'm sure it will come back to me once i get in the woods, My brother would enjoy riding with jason... Is that the presidente?

Oh yeah , i cleaned out my PM

mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
Everybody planning to ride Hatfield will truly LUV it. Good riding friends. Please email every moto website u can think of to help us promote and keep this place open. thanks
mp

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Dennis ,

Depends which trail you are riding. We have actually riden in the rain at Bear Wallow - it is pretty rocky and dries out quick. It does not get too slippery in the rain. Make sure to run all of the 9X trails. These are the most difficult and make the trip down there worth while.

Rock House - this turns into a mud pit. We call the place mud house. I do not suggest going to Rock House enless you have some beginners with you or some quads.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
So what's the story Drew? Do you have rooms booked? When are you leaving Friday? Do you have room for me to crash? Are you in Dennis? You want to split a room? I'm either riding Hatfield with you guys or riding West Virginia with my buddy on his trails Sunday. Knowing my buddy, Hatfield's probably the easier ride. Let me know.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I would like to go. Can't leave until I get off work fri nite at 11:30. Not sure if I'm going to stay or come back sat nite.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
I'm planning on going, but my girlfriend needs a ride. Does any body know if there is a place that rents four-wheelers? If not, then it will be just me. Just let me know where everyone is going to meet. :D

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I think there's a place that gives tours but no rental. Something about the insurance.
Bill I'll call you tonite.
Shaun what are you gonna do?

andym

Jun 3, 2000
Camping at Hatfield-McCoy

Originally posted by Bruce McCrary
Anyone have any expericance with the trails or campground?

My advice is to avoid Devil Anse campground. Last time I was there, they had no grass, few trees, and you had to pay for a cold shower. It is convienient to be beside the trails but if you plan to ride different trailheads, it doesn't really matter. I would recommend staying at Chief Logan State Park. It is a great camp area with a restaurant, free hot showers, and they have RV sites available.

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Ooooh Noooo... Already made reservations now.

Here's the deal though. We will be arriving late Friday night, and ride Saturday , then some Sunday before we head home around 2 or 3 pm.

From what I'm told, we won't be able to ride all of the Bear Wallow trails in that time, so time spent at the campground will be limited. Dang, that Brady guy did seem like such a nice guy too...

So tell me, where is this state park? Is it close to the trails? Our group has a little issue with being able to pack up and move around from trialhead to campground with the vehicles we are utilizing.

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Bruce McCrary

andym

Jun 3, 2000
My biggest problem with Devil Anse is the pay shower. To their credit, grass appeared to have been seeded when I was there. The state park is probably 10-15 minutes from the trail head. It is on Rt10 toward Chapmanville. http://www.chiefloganstatepark.com/ I usually like to spend 1 day at each trailhead but spending a day and a half at one will give you more time to explore. The Bear Wallow trail is my favorite and it looks like they have just made some changes. Have fun and be sure to let us know what you think about it.

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
What had started out being a couple of us from the shop going on a ride has turned into a full tilt bonifide oh lordy how will we ever pull this off event. The last count had about 25 friends and customers coming with us!

The is a mixture of atv's and bikes, so the Bear Wallow trails with what appears to be more single track appeared to us to be the ticket.

As for camping at the campground we were more concerned with being able to have direct access to the trails and someone to kind of keep an eye on things while we are gone. I'm sure we'll end up trying his showers, but at least my 'toter-home' has a shower that I know works well, so maybe we'll be ok.

I'll certainly be posting a rider report after we get back!!!

Bruce McCrary

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Well, I talked to Dennis and we're leaving late Friday night. We should be ready to ride Saturday by 9 or 10. We plan on riding all day Saturday and Leaving that night/evening sometime. We'll be in a Red Dodge Ram Extended Cab V10. I'll be on a KTM and Dennis has a Husky. Can't Wait!!

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I'll be like a little kid. I'm so excited I won't be able to sleep all week so come sat I'll be to tired to ride. Oh well I can't ride when I get a lot of sleep.

OleDrewBudd

Jul 3, 2001
Due to expenses beyond my control (IRS, wifes text book fees) I will not be able to make it, however it looks as if there is a big group going....Hope you all have a good time, I'll pick of the details from Jeff or dennis.

later.... :(

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hey that was a fun trip through richland wasn't it Andrew, perfect weather but unfortunately not enough gasoline :(

El pres (jason) went riding with dan out there yesterday and had a bad one, suffered a concussion and miscellaneous road rash/bruise injuries. Good news is the bike isn't in too bad of shape and neither is he ;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
yea he was wearing a helmet, they had just came off a trail onto the main hollow and he was trying to catch up with dan, turned a curve wide in the gravel and hit a bank and endo'd. They told his girlfriend to watch him overnight (waking him up every 2 hours) and have him see a family practicioner this morning. Gave him some pain pills which I'm sure he appreciated.

Top Bottom