Hatfield-McCoy Ride Weekend June 6th

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
Absolutley goat path on the side of the cliff for the majority of the single track. Lower numbers easier, higher numbers harder. I have ridden all my life and still think some of the single track is too difficult. It is hardly ridden and really rocky, very straight up, and narrow, with cliff on one side, mountainside on the other. Some sections are nice with tight trails (have narrow handlebars, 31.5") through trees, great views. You just don't know what you are getting into until your already dedicated to the path. Can't turn around in the majority of places. I am only talking about the orange trails. Numbers 150 and below can be fun, high numbers, bring along rope. I get sucked into the high trails every time and say I will never ride them again, but wind up doing it. Always ride these with friends who are willing to help each other. Believe me, don't ride the black/red diamond (like 94 on rockhouse) unless you really are a mountain goat with a motor. It is just not worth the struggle, especially with full gear on a hot day.

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
Have not got to post since my ride 3/28/09. We had a blast. It was very wet! Rained every night all night, at least not much during the days. All the trails were great (no dust). None of the blacks were too bad except one on Rock House, can't remember the number, just the huge rut, mud, hill, rocks, that I got stuck on. The single tracks on Indian Ridge were nice (easy). The two we did at Rock House were hard, and the one we did at Buff Mnt was very tough (on Matewan side). Rode approximately 60 miles a day X 3 days. My butt and legs were sore. Can' wait to do it again. If any questions about specific trails, I will review the map for numbers to describe the trails we rode. All blacks were pretty easy for an above average rider and fun.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
kdxklridr

are the trails well marked and easy to nav or can you get lost pretty easy.

One thing I want to do is go from Matewan to the next town and back one day ...do you think this is possible?

Also do you pack extra fuel for the kdx? I can go about 6hrs on a tank with various fast/straight and slow and tight trails I'd say half and half. And to I think the slow and tight uses more gas up faster.

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
The blacks were ok. Trails 92, 94,95, all not too bad. The trail that was out of the fun zone was 198 (single track) on the matewan side (I don't reccomend it). You only need to take a little bit of oil with you for the KDX. If you know your ratio per gallon, take about 8oz of oil with you in a little container and take a little measuring cup (medicine type). You can get gas on either side, I usually only need 1 or 1.5 gallons, put that amount of oil in and add gas directly to tank. I would not try to go both ways without adding gas and it gives you that extra security as well as play time. I use 3.7oz of redline to 1 gallon of gas, probably overkill. The old bike ran great. I did not even get out my KLX 300. Hate to have to totally clean two bikes, plus the 200 did well, althougth my weight is a bit much for the suspension. The trip between matewan and Delbarton is really good. There is a gas station at the bottom of the mountain from Delbarton side. Matewan easy to get gas. We cross bridge to Kentucky to get gas and say we were in a different state!

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
I did not answer the question about back and forth in one day from one town to the next. It is easy with time to spare if you have a light in case you get behind. The main trails are easy to navigate as it gets dark with a light, we have never had a problem and take our time. Unless you get off the main trails, they are easy and well marked. We have been lost for about two hours once, but were on homebread trails and got way off the system, won''t do that again.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
just wired my lights up with no switch (on all the time) and drilled out the rear fender and installed a free led strip __5 led lights ___red I will hunt for a switch but the lamp I'm useing has a small dome light ...running?? and a 35w low beam and 35w high beam...kinda stange but came off an 84 kdx before I sold it to Jason ...er .ah ....gladtoride

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
I leave my light on all the time at Hatfields. On the main trail I alway hope it helps the ATVs and Razors see me before a head on. Be careful on the sharp turns. Another reason to be on the more technical trails where they are not.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
do the atv and razor crowd at least pull to the correct side of the road when approaching a blind curve?

my biggest problem with atv and side by sides is they won't take a second and pull over to let you pass on a bike and they go like 20mph ..so what I do, if they make me work for a pass, is roost the crap out of them as soon as I get in front.!!!

I do get up on them and use my ring..ding....ding...ding....... ring ..ding ...ding... ding as a horn!!!!

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
Most ATVs will move over once they know you are behind them. Most trails are too narrow for there to really be a right and left side, just a turn a little wider than a ATV with a big berm that everybody each way wants to hit. I hug the inside on rights and go easy on lefts if I can't see. You can usually see on the high speed areas, but I have had close calls. Pick the hillside, not the "cliff" when getting over urgently.
Overall it really is not very crowded, especially on Buff mtn, unless you are there on one of the festivals. You may only see a couple people.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
kdxklxridr

are you coming to W.v on the 6th?

also whats that klx 300 like compared to the kdx200??
I saw one at durhamtown and couldn't even get my pinky in the exhuast tip!!!
Do they have any power without mods?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I would advise anyone who wants a room for the weekend of June 5th 6th 7th to book it before May 9th...

On May 9th I will list the ride on Georgia off road site.
I feel Kathy McCoy has given very good discounts and I owe it to her to try and fill her rooms

Here in the Inn we have four large rooms. Each has its own bath.
Each room will cost $25.00 per night for up to two people and $10.00 each additional person.
*Room #21 has one double bed and enough room for two fold away beds.
It can sleep four.
*Room # 22 has one double bed and enough room for one fold away bed.
It can sleep three.
*Room #23 has two double beds.
It can sleep four.
*Room #24 has two double beds and two single beds.
It can sleep six.

The Matewan Garden Cottage
It is a small house down the street walking distance from the Inn
“3 buildings down”.
The Cottage has six single beds downstairs all in the same room. With a bath. The price for the downstairs is $25.00 per night for up to two people and $10.00 each additional person.

The upstairs has two rooms the back room has one double bed (sleeps two). And the front room has two single beds (sleeps two). I would suggest that the people who take the upstairs rooms are family or don’t mind that you have to pass thru the others bedroom to the front door to get in and out. It has one bath.
The price for the upstairs is $25.00 per night per room.

While you're here you can enjoy our courtyard, with a wood burning stove, tv, live entertainment. You can also be served from our restaurant Wingo's Grill, where we serve Apple Smoked, Fresh Boston Butt BBQ & Wings served with one of our home made sauces. That’s Pork worth feud'n over. (I can cater to your group a great BBQ dinner just let me know ahead). We have an arcade, fun for the whole family. Games, air hockey, pool table. For those of you who want to add a relaxing day to your vacation we offer kayak and canoeing. You can also enjoy our river front property were there you can fish, (We can loan you 6 rods and two tackle boxes to get you started) swim, use our outdoor grill, build a fire and roast marshmallows. A great get a-way! There's plenty of parking available. Once you on load you never have to load up again, just hit the trails! Check out the Buffalo Trail Map, there's plenty of green trails. Our son has Paul’s Pitt Stop here so if you break down and need a helping hand or tools he’ll be around. You're sure to enjoy this quite little town. We have discounted the rooms tremendously in hopes of a way of advertisement. We hope that you will enjoy being here and would like to come back to visit the next year. I will be more than happy to help you while planning your trip. I can have the permits available when you get here once we have a head count on how many you need. I can have some trail maps for you as well. Anything else you need help or if you want us to help plan some of these activities just give us a call.
Thanks, Donald and Kathy McCoy 304-426-4700 304-426-6266 www.hatfield-mccoyresort.com

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
Yes, the KLX 300 is a horse, it has all you need without mods in general. The exaust outlet is huge, after you throw away the plug in the end. I did the intake mods, did jet changes and put 12 tooth sprocket on. It is way faster than my other bikes. It just sucks when you are stuck on a hill and trying to start it back up. I can just slap my two strokes and they start right up. The 300 needs the stroke set and right to get kicked over, can be frustraighting if you are exausted and too tired to even keep your balance up on a really steep hill climb. I love the extra horse power of it and you can just not shift as much, just twist the thorttle and accelerate. The suspension is better than my other bikes stock also.

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
SR5 bidder
I may try to come on the 6th. If my call schedule allows and I can get my main riding partner to go. I really had not thought about it. If I can, it would be fun to meet up. I would stll be staying at Gilbert and riding in Buff mtn would be the plan.

oldschoolmxer

May 3, 2009
I'm new to this forum and race vintage motocross..bought a used 2003 KDX220 last week with about 10 hours on it and i'm having a blast!!! I would love to do this ride and would make the trip up from Florida. Where can I get a room. Thanks in advance.
Rusty

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
you can't get a much cheaper vacation than riding, except for those that live far away from hatfields. Couple hundred bucks and a wk end off cover it, depending on how much beer you drink and not having bad luck with the bike gods.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
kdxklx..you got that rite man ....but alot of people live paycheck to paycheck and if they lose thier job they are endanger of losing everything.

also kdxklx ae you bringing the klx300?? or just the kdx's

jth

May 21, 2006
HATFIELD-McCOY NEWS FROM THE TRAIL

Hatfield-McCoy Trail System Recovers from Floods, Turns to Help Gilbert
May, 14, 2009

LYBURN, WV _ The Hatfield-McCoy Trails has substantially recovered from weekend flooding in Mingo County, West Virginia, and hopes to be back to 100 percent by June 1, Executive Director Jeffrey T. Lusk said Thursday. Also, all Hatfield-McCoy equipment not being used to repair the trails is being loaned to the town of Gilbert to help in flood recovery, Lusk said. Southern West Virginia was stricken by heavy flooding Saturday, destroying hundreds of homes and businesses. Much of the damage was centered in Gilbert in Mingo County. "This was a catastrophic event that most of us have not seen before," Lusk said. "The Hatfield-McCoy Regional Recreational Authority wants to do its part to help the town of Gilbert and businesses in that area. "We have all of our crews working overtime to get the trails up and running and every piece of equipment we have that is not pushing dirt in the woods on trails is in Gilbert helping with flood recovery," he said.

"Gilbert is the centerpiece of our trail system," Lusk said. "We lost probably about half of the Rockhouse Trail System and about half of the Buffalo Mountain Trail System." (Rockhouse is located near Gilbert and Buffalo Mountain near Williamson.)

The connector to the town of Gilbert was reopened Thursday, Lusk said, with about 70 percent of the Rockhouse and Buffalo Mountain trails also reopened.

The connector to Matewan remains closed, he said, but is expected to reopen by May 20. "We’re going to get through this," Lusk said. "We’ve been working 12- to 14-hour days since Saturday to get the trails open and to help businesses recover." The Hatfield-McCoy Trails is a key economic engine for the area, especially in and around Gilbert where many businesses have sprouted since the Trails opened in 2000.

oldschoolmxer

May 3, 2009
I don't live paycheck 2 paycheck but it's a haul from Florida and on top of the job loss I have a herniated L-1 thats killing me, if not for that I would be there! I will be heading to Houston for back surgery instead. Next year guys. Thanks for the invite.

Top Bottom