Have a blast?

smb_racing

Master of None
hello all,
I've been looking for a nice touring/commuter streetbike for a while and I was dead set on a Buell S3T. However after realizing that I couldn't afford one I started looking at the smaller Buell Blast. Anyone have an experience with these bikes? I know Vance and Hines makes a good pipe and there are a few jetting kits. I hear that they handle nicely and are comfortable to ride. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

KLX4smoke

Lifetime Sponsor
I sat on one at the NYC motorcycle show and the thing is REALLY short. I think it is best for beginner riders and those that are short of stature. Of course, all your riding buddies will be calling it your Buell Be-Last. :p

smb_racing

Master of None
Originally posted by KLX4smoke
Of course, all your riding buddies will be calling it your Buell Be-Last. :p
well top speed isn't what I'm looking for in a touring bike, as long as it'll cruise at 70 fairly easy I'm not worried. I'll do my racing in the dirt :D

KLX4smoke

Lifetime Sponsor
Sorry, I was just kidding. But really, the bike is so short that unless you are under say 5' 6" or so I would think it's not for you. How tall are you and did you feel comfortable sitting on it? I thought I read that Buell actually designed it specifically for smaller riders and beginners.

smb_racing

Master of None
well I'm right at 6', the bike feels pretty good actually, are you sure you didn't set on one with the short seat foam?
It was designed for beginners, but with all the hopups they're making for it now I'd say that the power won't be a problem, and all the reviews I've read have said that it's a great handling little beast, the weight feels pretty centered and low as well. I have been drooling over one of the big S3's, but with them going for well over $7k used it's not really an option :(

Last edited:
Being that it's only a 492cc single I still see it being under powered on the big hills and mountains. You would definitely be hurting if you wanted to ride two up also. I am 5'11" and felt cramp on it also. but if it's what you want, then I say go for it. Nobody can decide if it's the right bike for you, but you.

Firebolt XB9R, that's a Buell I could get in too :)

Coop

KWJams

Subscriber
Just picture yourself---

Cruisin along with the wind in your face and knees in the breeze..

Now imagine an 80,000 pound eighteen wheeler on your donkey about to make a hood ornament out of you and you think to yourself---where is the other blankety blank cylinder?

That would be like riding an XR100 in the Open Class---sure make some nice hop-ups for them litttle XR's. ;)

smb_racing

Master of None
well I'm all for power, I'd actually prefer to buy a bigger bike but it's a price issue, maybe I'll just have to buy a bigger used jap bike instead :scream:

KLX4smoke

Lifetime Sponsor
Now you're talking! There are a million used jap bikes on the market and anything out of Japan in the last 20 years is damn near bulletproof. Hit the classifieds at excite.com and cycletrader.com, ebay, etc. :)

Rodzilla

Lifetime Sponsor
Look through the DRN members for CJ Rider. She had a Buell for a while (shes a tiny little thing) If I remember she was not impressed.

I think I remember oil leak problems (Hey its a Hardley after all) and she thought it was down on power when trying to keep up with a ride group or her husband.

E-mail her, she should have some insight.

As they say: "If Harley made an airplane, would YOU ride in it?"

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
Buell Blast's are dogs.
A Suzuki GS500E will run circles around it.
If you want the performance of the S3T & the price of the Blast, look at a used CBR F3, YZF600 (not the R-6), or ZX-6E. All three will out run a S3T and are comfortable enough to ride all day.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
Originally posted by smb_racing
well I'm all for power, maybe I'll just have to buy a bigger used jap bike instead :scream:
Shame on you, Did you forget Ducati,Aprilia or even MV Agusta:( ,