smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hello all,
I've been looking for a nice touring/commuter streetbike for a while and I was dead set on a Buell S3T. However after realizing that I couldn't afford one I started looking at the smaller Buell Blast. Anyone have an experience with these bikes? I know Vance and Hines makes a good pipe and there are a few jetting kits. I hear that they handle nicely and are comfortable to ride. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I sat on one at the NYC motorcycle show and the thing is REALLY short. I think it is best for beginner riders and those that are short of stature. Of course, all your riding buddies will be calling it your Buell Be-Last. :p

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by KLX4smoke
Of course, all your riding buddies will be calling it your Buell Be-Last. :p

well top speed isn't what I'm looking for in a touring bike, as long as it'll cruise at 70 fairly easy I'm not worried. I'll do my racing in the dirt :D

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Sorry, I was just kidding. But really, the bike is so short that unless you are under say 5' 6" or so I would think it's not for you. How tall are you and did you feel comfortable sitting on it? I thought I read that Buell actually designed it specifically for smaller riders and beginners.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
well I'm right at 6', the bike feels pretty good actually, are you sure you didn't set on one with the short seat foam?
It was designed for beginners, but with all the hopups they're making for it now I'd say that the power won't be a problem, and all the reviews I've read have said that it's a great handling little beast, the weight feels pretty centered and low as well. I have been drooling over one of the big S3's, but with them going for well over $7k used it's not really an option :(

Last edited:

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Being that it's only a 492cc single I still see it being under powered on the big hills and mountains. You would definitely be hurting if you wanted to ride two up also. I am 5'11" and felt cramp on it also. but if it's what you want, then I say go for it. Nobody can decide if it's the right bike for you, but you.

Firebolt XB9R, that's a Buell I could get in too :)

Coop

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Just picture yourself---

Cruisin along with the wind in your face and knees in the breeze..

Now imagine an 80,000 pound eighteen wheeler on your donkey about to make a hood ornament out of you and you think to yourself---where is the other blankety blank cylinder?

That would be like riding an XR100 in the Open Class---sure make some nice hop-ups for them litttle XR's. ;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
well I'm all for power, I'd actually prefer to buy a bigger bike but it's a price issue, maybe I'll just have to buy a bigger used jap bike instead :scream:

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Now you're talking! There are a million used jap bikes on the market and anything out of Japan in the last 20 years is damn near bulletproof. Hit the classifieds at excite.com and cycletrader.com, ebay, etc. :)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Look through the DRN members for CJ Rider. She had a Buell for a while (shes a tiny little thing) If I remember she was not impressed.

I think I remember oil leak problems (Hey its a Hardley after all) and she thought it was down on power when trying to keep up with a ride group or her husband.

E-mail her, she should have some insight.

As they say: "If Harley made an airplane, would YOU ride in it?"

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Buell Blast's are dogs.
A Suzuki GS500E will run circles around it.
If you want the performance of the S3T & the price of the Blast, look at a used CBR F3, YZF600 (not the R-6), or ZX-6E. All three will out run a S3T and are comfortable enough to ride all day.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by smb_racing
well I'm all for power, maybe I'll just have to buy a bigger used jap bike instead :scream:

Shame on you, Did you forget Ducati,Aprilia or even MV Agusta:( ,

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by motopuffs
Uh, he's on a budget?

oh sorry, I hate the " B " word

How about a '98 Ducati Monster 900 w/ 8700 mi @ $6,400.00
in the Ohio area

Last edited:

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by Coop
Firebolt XB9R, that's a Buell I could get in too :)

Coop

NOW your talkin!!! I love that bike!!

I never ever thought I would have anything close to a harley... As my parents both have them, and I dont care for them. They look nice and sound nice, but I hate riding them. I rode my moms sportster once, and that was it! No harley for me.. Maybe Ive had one too many trips to Springfield, Peoria, Duo Quoin(sp?) all those flattrack races on the back of a harley... But the Firebolt is the exception :cool:

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
I thought they were cool until I heard about the second one...they all sound the same! Besides that, I wouldn't want anything with a harley engine, because they won't idle...I notice the riders always have to keep revvvvvvvvvving it with the clutch in all the time.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
harleys will idle, it's just the sound that they make when you jab the throttle. I used to do the same thing with my mustang GT :)

I hate being on a budget as well, but one more month and my dirtbike will be paid off, and I've only got another year and a half left on my truck, I'm looking into a used M2 now, they're looking to be within my reach now.

My friend has GS500E, it's a fun little bike and makes good power mid to top, but not much down low. As I mentioned before I'm not really looking for top speed anyway.

Last edited:

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
harleys will idle, it's just the sound that they make when you jab the throttle...

EXACTLY. I have NEVER heard a Harley that wouldnt idle. I also have never heard of a Harley rider who didnt like to rev it.:p

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I also have never heard of a Harley rider who didnt like to rev it

Probably because they are pathetic losers that get no attention anymore and need to force everyone to look at them in order to feel good about themselves.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
come on now, lets not make this a harley bashing thread. Not all riders are like that, and the ones who do stupid things like that aren't true enthusiasts.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
come on now, lets not make this a harley bashing thread. Not all riders are like that, and the ones who do stupid things like that aren't true enthusiasts.

or like most HD riders I know, their running 96-102 inch motors which don't like to idle at lights.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
oh wow, what did I start! this is fun but sorta inappropriate...turning into flames!

KLX4SMOKE, although you are grossly generalizing, I don't have to look more than 1/2 block down to see a poster child exactly representing your comment. And no, he never gives it a chance to idle.

He may be pathetic, but he's smart enough to pour oil back in the engine at least as fast as it leaks out.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I was afraid to look at this thread again after I wrote that last one! I thought I was going to get pummelled big time. :scream:

Sorry, but I get furious every time one of those goons rides by with the open pipes. Those guys are basically giving you and everyone else the finger when they ride with those pipes so I don't care if they think I'm bashing them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom