He went to the Reunion & I went to the Enduro

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
I went to the Inyan Kara Enduro in Wyoming while my husband went to his 30-year high school reunion.

The enduro was quite hot and dusty. I took Girlrider's advice and drank Pedialyte the evening before the event and drank it the morning of the race. It tasted horrible, but I believe it helped me endure the event.

The enduro is a reliability enduro so no timekeeping is needed. When I lined up at the first special test, I realized that there was another lady on my minute. I said hi to her, but really didn't have much of a chance to introduce myself. When we took off, I just let everyone go ahead of me and I tried to keep up with this gal. Well, I was clotheslined right off my bike by a tree that I didn't even see. All of a sudden I was on the ground wondering what just happened! :ugg: I was able to move everything and decided I wasn't hurt, so I picked up my bike and off I went again.
After that I decided to pace myself and go my own speed.

At the first gas stop the man that I rode with to the event told me he decided to pull the plug. He was really hot and decided not to continue. I told him I felt pretty good and I wanted to finish. I did finish and I think I got the most points possible in the enduro; but the more I think about it, it doesn't matter how many points I got, I accomplished the feat of crossing the finish line :cool:

On Wednesday I decided to jump onto the RMEC webpage to see if the standings were up and a message was posted that a 15-year-old boy died of apparent heat exhaustion during the race. I felt so horrible about that, I can't even put it into words. it is so very sad that something so tragic happened that day.

So, everybody, be sure to take care of yourselves out there on the trail and do not overdo it.

My husband had a great time at his high school reunion and he's glad he went. He asked me which one of the guys tried to strangle me when he saw the nasty scrape on my neck.

Lisa

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Ditto on what Motololo said. The Pedialite is a good idea, but I don't think I could stand the taste. I drink nothing but water (and plenty of it) at least 2 days before a summer ride. The moring of the ride I will eat a breakfast burito for protien and then maybe a bottle of gaterade before I ride and plenty of water during the ride. I usually will not ride much into the afternoon in the summer. Early morning is the ticket for me. The earlier the better. Vented gear realy helps (first ride with it last weekend). Dirt Rider also had a good article on beating the heat during the summer. I'm very sorry to hear about that boy :(

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
The news about the boy is very sad and disturbing. A terrible thing for the family to endure. So young!! :(

Sometimes I'm out there in the heat and I think how I might be overdoing it a bit, this is making me wary and I'm going to try the pedialyte thing. I've never tried it, is there any way to make it taste better? Mix it with juice maybe??

Good job finishing the enduro Lisa! I was just wondering about you and the reunion thing! Glad it all worked out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom