Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Any recommendations out there for E-Load rated truck tires? Used on an 06 Duramax Diesel 1 ton dually. So far the tires that came with the truck seem to have held up the best (65k miles) Had some issues with a set of Goodyears falling apart and now the new Wrangler Silent Armors are set to be replaced after 45k miles. Truck is used pretty much exclusively to haul large Travel and 5th Wheel trailers if it matters.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm running Toyo M-55's. Always heard good things about 'em, haven't had any probs with them myself.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
On the E-450 RV that I used to run (abuse) I blew out several tiers. After much searching across RV sites, they said the Michelin "ribbed" E-range tires were the best. I don't think I ever blew out one of those.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I have the Bridgestone REVO A/T on my F250 and so far have over 50K on them. Good in snow or wet, low road noise, and wear good.
The first set of Firestones on the truck lasted 30K, next set Goodyear wranglers lasted 25 before I got rid of them (1 blowout, 2 separations and terrible wear). I actually pulled the REVOs off my old truck (with about 25K on them) and put them on the new one when I bought it- they put the new stock tires on the tradein.

Thursday I happened to be at the local dealer picking up a work van and had them quote me 4 new REVOs after a bit of haggling it came out $780 for 4 (tax included)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have the silent armor AT on my truck. The things are friggin quiet! They rock. No problems yet, but only have about 1200 miles on them. The GY ones have a 50K warrenty on them. We shall see how they old up, but so far so good. Great traction so far (snow and wet included). I had problems with my Geolanders and the Brigstone Dualer ATs that I had were pretty loud, but wore good. I didn't have the Revo ones.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
No complaints with the Silent Armors at all, very nice tire. Was more curious about something with a bit longer wear life as each extra trip out of a set of tires helps the bottomline. Hauling those friggen 42' KZ Toy Haulers at 15k pounds really seem to eat up the tires.

Gomer I wondered about the Michelins as I've seen them on a lot of the trucks who are doing the same type of hauling, will have to look into them.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
F350 4x4, heavy trailer...another vote for Bridgestone's Revo.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I used a few sets of the Bridgestone AT's in 150K miles with good results.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I will not use anything else but the Michelins on my Ford E-350 van & diesel Excursion. Great wear, but most importantly consistant, solid performance the ENTIRE life of the tire. Not true with the Bridgestones, Goodyears, BFG (not "E" load rated) and Firestones I've used. Most tires are good in their first 50% of their life. It is the second 1/2 that I pay the most attention to the performance. I've never had any other tire stay vibration - free for the entire life of the tire like the Mich. will. Very impressed with the Michelins, here! Worth the extra money, for sure.

Just like bikes, How well you take care of them (air pressure, alignment, rotation, load, driving habits, etc.) makes the MOST difference in the tire life. I drive mediumly aggresive, on the average, with a wide variety of load sizes.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
The Generals that came stock on my truck were done @35K. My truck runs loaded, similar to what you are doing. I am currently running the Firestone Transforce AT in back and HT in front. Good quiet ride and smooth. I dont know what the wear in will be like, but with 15K on them they are going to beat the Generals to He** and back.

I have run Michelins in the past, however the sidewalls flexed too much for my taste, smoother ride than the Firestones, but not stable enough in high cross winds.

There you go my $.25 worth, inflation you know. :)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
My Firestone E rated Transforce AT's get roughly 85-90K on them. I've run 3 sets of the Firestones (the first set was the OEM's which went 86K). The only tires that were pitiful were the Goodyears which literally fell apart at 33K. The truck has right at 217K miles on it. For tread life, great ride and low noise the Firestone/Bridgestones are the best bet for me. My Goodyears were what they claim to be...good for about a year

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Meh - throw some Gateway Gumbo Monster Mudders on it and git 'er done! Nothing but sidewall flex, horrible howl on the road, and they cup like nothin' you ever seen. :p

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
My Michelin LTX have gone 60,000 miles - had the A/S originally on the truck and went with M/S when I replaced them - no perceivable difference.
Dodge Ram Extra Cab Long Bed Diesel towing a paltry 8,000 lbs @ 70mph

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Rooster said:
Meh - throw some Gateway Gumbo Monster Mudders on it and git 'er done! Nothing but sidewall flex, horrible howl on the road, and they cup like nothin' you ever seen. :p
Ha! Had some back in high school on my old blazer........my girlfriend could hear me coming to pick her up from BLOCKS away. Funny how throwing $ away didn't matter then.......(tires AND girl)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Something to seriously consider would be one of the kits that swaps out the wheels and tires for those off an OTR rig. Significantly more HD options and tire life like there is no tomorrow. I'd imagine it would pay for itself ona rig that gets as many miles as yours does Chili.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
D Lafleur said:
I have run Michelins in the past, however the sidewalls flexed too much for my taste, smoother ride than the Firestones, but not stable enough in high cross winds.

There you go my $.25 worth, inflation you know. :)
Was this with the recommended 80 psi? Many people, including oil change, tire & dealer employees, do not inflate "E" load rated tires to the correct pressure. I always have to insist on this (or correct their error!) I do run as low as 60 psi when driving with light loads, around town, on the rough roads of the upper midwest (Chicago.)
I frequently haul large loads & heavy trailers and have no problem with lack of stability, as long as I keep the tire pressure & camber set correctly. On my E-350, I've discovered that I need to be sure to have a load in the van when I have the front end aligned. The camber changes as the Ford twin I-beams move up & down.

**Note to 2-Wheel Drive Ford owners**
If you own a Ford truck with twin I-beam front suspension: the more loads you haul, the more frequently you will have to have your front end aligned. Ford springs "sack out" quickly, changing the camber & causing them to run on the inside of the tread. I am on the last camber adjustment cam & will probably need to replace my front springs, at my next alignment. My 2002 E-350, V-10 van has 160,000 mi.

sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
If you want a tire that is going to last the longest, and provide the best handling go with the Michelin LTX M/S. The LTX M/S is by far the longest lasting tire on the market for highway use. The downfall of the M/S is the horrible traction it provides for winter driving. This fall Michelin will be releasing a new LTX A/T that should be very good as well. If you really want your tires to last make sure you run the vehicles suggested air pressures (on drivers door) this is not just a random air pressure that the vehicle manufactures have come up with, the air pressure that you run affects over/under steer and therefore alignment and tire wear. This tire wear issue is most noticeable on pickup trucks (diesels are the worst) with fairly aggressive all terrain tires. Another great tire is the Toyo M55 as long as you sipe it for winter.

Top Bottom