Help! 05crf250 vs 06 vs 06 yz250f

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
Im buying a new bike tommorrow and need to know if there are any major differences in these three bikes. Here is the OTD price breakdown.. (yea, its expensive but this is socal!)

05 crf250 = 5199
06 crf250 = 5599
06 yz250f = 5699

I am coming off of a 2000 cr250 i have had for the last 5 years. It beats me up and i don't have the stamina anymore for tight tracks. I rode a crf450 and loved it! Im keeping the cr. I love yamahas so i can go either way.

Kinda leaning towards the yz but the price on the 05 crf is pretty good. HELP ME OUT!!!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I personally have a philosophy with race bikes - KISS

Really 2 pipes is just to much hassel. Smaller airbox, effects the shock with heat more, and more $ if there is damage.

A friend rides an 05 crf and really does not do a lot of maintenance to it and it has held up really well. I just did a top end, did the valves 2 months ago. only reason they were just barely tight is the aftermarket cam. it has been a really good bike.

I am biased towards the YZs. Just what I am use to but also they have the best track record so far for reliability. I like my 06, but I also have the wiseco 13.5:1 piston, hotcams and WB pipe on the bike to give it the missing power it needs. Not a 450 but definately bridges that gap.

I will say that most all 05+ bikes the suspension is really good (minus the 05 KXF and 04-06RMZ which is just dated). So that is a toss up. Spend some time dialing it in on any bike and it is just great. assuming you have the right spring rate for your weight.

But the YZ is a MUCH easier aluminum frame to work on. The CRf you have to remove the rear shock to work on the carb. The YZf 06 you just remove the upper motor mounts and there is a lot of room. I personally think the KYB suspension is better, but that is a preference.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Really 2 pipes is just to much hassel. Smaller airbox, effects the shock with heat more.
More hassle? Humm, okay. Got some real info about heating the shock or is that a educated guess? The smaller airbox is bad why? If you find a way to damage the twin pipes, replace that setup with a single.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Okiewan said:
More hassle? Humm, okay. Got some real info about heating the shock or is that a educated guess? The smaller airbox is bad why? If you find a way to damage the twin pipes, replace that setup with a single.

the CRF airboxes are already difficult. If they are smaller that is not good.

Also some race classes do not allow you to run a single pipe on the 06 crf. You have to run the duals.

Top Bottom