HELP! First time greasing front wheel bearings...

XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
I just took off the front wheel and axle out of my 99 CR125 and noticed that there was little or no grease on the axle. THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOING THIS. So far, I've got the axle out, the dust cap off and what I think is a bearing (duh), it looks kinda like a socket. But now, I still notice 2 bearings that will not come out, there's a little piece of rubber that's in front of them inside the hub. How can I get these suckers out, I've tried prying them out but gave up because I don't want to ruin the hub. Any suggestions on getting them out and putting it back together the rght way? I printed out a the front wheel assembly from www.servicehonda.com as a reference. Can someone please help this newbie out? Thanks guys!

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
I'll help. I think what you have removed so far are the axle, spacer "looks like a socket" and maybe dust seal. The bearings are a light interference fit and usualy need to be driven or pressed out. One side is often held in place by a circlip which will need to be removed if the bearings are to be taken out. Are the bearings worn out? If they are not then don't remove them as the resulting damage will likely render them useless. If you want to add a little grease you can gently pry the seal off the bearing and apply some fresh grease and replace the seal. The axle requires only a light coating of grease to prevent corrosion and ease removal. If you need more detail/clarification just ask.

XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
ok, ive greased the axle and spacer, now the problem is putting it back in lol. i've tried putting the spacer on the axle and push it through, but it just pushes it self back on the far left of the axle, i dont think thats where it goes though. can u help me out from here man? thanks!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The Fish is a wunnerful thing!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
What's that they say about a picture being worth a thousand words?

So, XtremeAir125, you wouldn't happen to have a manual for that bike do you? While "the fish" is a helpful site it doesn't take the place of a good service manual. Most will have exploded parts views just like that with instructions on how to do the maintenance on you bike properly.
(preacher mode off)
your welcome. :)

XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
my 99CR125 owner's manual sucks!!! it doesnt go into detail about nothing! it just says to remove the front wheel, take off the 2 bolts, and loosen the nut and remove. doesn't mention anything about greasing bearings at all.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Most of the owners manuals that come with jap bikes are pretty worthless. The type of manual that papakeith is talking about is a service manual. You can get one from your dealer.

Top Bottom