Husky Texan

Oct 6, 2000
Background: I bought these 4 bikes from a guy in financial distress a couple of months ago. None of them ran at the time, but they were all complete and I just couldn't resist the TY250 or the CZ enduro. Also picked up a 1994 YZ80 for the not-so-Husky-Texan (10 year old) and a 1985 Honda CR125.

Got the TY250 and the CZ running in less than an hour by cleaning the carbs and setting the points. They start first kick and run like a charm. :cool:

The YZ will need a complete lower end rebuild so there's a winter weekend project.

The Honda is my current project. This bike looks great for a 16 year old ride. Here's the deal. It started on the first kick, ran great.:) So I took it out to ride last weekend. Rode it for about 15 minutes, brought it back to the truck to change the needle position, made the change, fired it up and let it sit on the stand while I adjusted the air screw. It died.:eek: NO SPARK:think

So here's where I am tonight. I have checked all the wiring connections, disconnected the kill button, checked to make sure the engine is grounded to the frame, pulled the stator, coil, and CDI box and checked them with a multimeter. Only the stator may be suspect. It has a red and a white wire that should have continuity but I haven't been able to get a reading. However, if I test the first pole and the sixth pole of the stator, I get continuity.
Any suggestions. I am stumped.:eek: :)

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
Ya know--

---I have read this post at least three times and I still can't think of anything to suggest.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Have you measured the current?

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Hi Husky Texan,

I just realized who you are! This is Tony from your vintage MX list and the vintage enduro list.

It could be thermal related in the coi or stator. Everything would check fine when cold, but create an open as it heats up. Of course, if it won't start at all now it kind of blows that theory out of the water.

It sure sounds like your doing all of the right things and cheacking all of the right conections. If you were here in Dallas, we could use my neighbors 84 and switch out components until it fired:confused:

Have you kicked it real hard yet:D Perhaps the BFH is in order......

Husky Texan

Oct 6, 2000
Yep!

Pretty much done everything but throw a match into the fuel tank:scream:

I believe the stator is the problem. I have someone shipping me a used one to try. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Husky Texan

Oct 6, 2000
We have a winner!:)

Found a used stator via Jeff's Vintage Page (35 bucks). Then I pulled the engine out of the frame and sanded both the frame mounts and the engine bosses to bare metal. Put it all back together and gave it a kick. Ring-ding-ding:)

Life is good again. I hate problems that have multiple solutions.

Now on the terrorizing the other local 40+ crowd.:p

Top Bottom