oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Ok here it is my wife OK'd getting a new bike this summer and I am undecided between the KDX220 and the KLX300.
As most of you know I am old and overweight (225#/ 6'). I am not an aggressive rider but really enjoyed riding Kelvins KDX at DW in the nighttime poker run.
I want a bike that I can still play on MX tracks while my son is practicing but think I would enjoy the more mellow woods bike over a MX such as the KX250 (my son is pushing for this).
I have liked all the 4 strokes I have ridden but have never been on a KLX. are there any negatives to either I should be aware of? Our local dealer is pushing thwe KLX since he is sold out and can't get anymore KDX220s or KDX200s. I won't be buying immediately since I am still unable to ride due to my knee surgery but think I will buy within 2 months.
Thanks

MDA

May 27, 2002
Congrats on getting the green light for a new ride (great feeling isn't it?).

I have never ridden the KLX so I can't compare it to my KDX220, but I seem to remember when I was shopping for my bike that the KLX was significantly more expensive. Both bikes have a fairly loyal following and both have healthy aftermarket/hop-up potential.

For me the price was an issue and based on its reputation I could not see myself going wrong with the KDX. Bullet proof, and lots of bang for my hard earned buck....

Either way, have fun.

-Mark-

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
My vote would be based on vehicle weight. I can still pull my KDX200 out of a ditch/mudhole/hillside, but I'm not sure how successful I might be with a heavier bike. Have fun, recover fast.

Apr 28, 2001
I am 42, 6'5", and weigh 235. I have a 2000 KDX 200 and I love it. I added tall seat foam, and high bend bars. I also had Jeff Freddette do the suspension for my weight and added Gold Valves. (Treat yourself to the wide pegs) The KDX needs a pipe and silencer. See Canadian Dave's website for that. I can still take my bike out for a nice trail ride or turn the wick up with my A and B rider buddies.

I rode a few KLX's. They are just not the greatest bike. I would find another dealer who can supply the 2 stroke.

We ride in a variety of tight New England, rocky trails, to fast whooped out dirt roads. The KDX really covers the bases.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Oldguy

IMHO the KLX is a toad compared to the KDX. Although both bikes are dated the KDX would probably be more fun, be a bit easier on your body weight wise and easier to start. (NO e button on that KLX) I am aware of the idler gear grenading on the KLX that may require some work before you ride it much. OTOH a KDX 200 will only require stiffer fork springs for you and you will be good to go.
They are a fun bike, very reliable and you can find new 200's for $3500. I think you would get easily bored with the 300 and the 200 has opportunity to increase performance and it will cost less and perform better. Good luck with your decision.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Dave, I'm not sure if you get them there or not - KLX250's? They have electric start (now), and a friend of mine loved the one she got to test ride (have to point out the fact she was riding an XR200, which I think was about 93, POS at the time, so anything's better). The electric start can be fitted on the 300. 300's can be a bear to start and do have a bad reputation (so do the 250's for that matter), it's just something you have to learn to live with - letting the bike cool down before restarting.
Another thing to keep in mind, is the crank is not able to be rebuilt and you have to keep an eye on the idler gear. Henk just told me that with the new KLX's the hot-starting problem's been solved.
You sure you want a trail-friendly bike for the riding you do? You could add a heavier flywheel weight to tame down a MX bike. At least the suspension is suited for MX.
Michelle

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I guess I am leaning towards the KDX220 if I can find one. After your help I guess the weight and working on the 2 stroker are the biggest factors. On top of that maybe if I am a really good boy my wife will let me get it bored out like Kelvins:)
Michelle I am determined to avoid the racing bug again for 30 years- my last race 30+ years ago ended with a fractured back and my last attempt at DW left me with a wrecked knee. Hoping a woods bike will keep me in a more mellow mood while out there

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Called around today and found a dealer who has a 2001 KDX220 in the crate in his warehouse. Says over the phone about $3800 plus tax I didn't push it at all. Figured I'll check around when we are in Florida in a couple weeks and if I can't find something there I can always haggle with him. He is notorious for thinking his bikes are gold plated (probably why he still has a 2001 in the crate :think: ) and won't usually deal.
Anything to worry about with the 01s if I go that route

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by oldguy
are there any negatives to either I should be aware of? Our local dealer is pushing the KLX since he is sold out and can't get anymore KDX220s or KDX200s.
That should tell you something right there --sold out of KDXs -- Must be a reason!! Negatives?? IF you ever want to go fast, the KDX takes a lot of suspension work = $$$ [The KLX probably does too as it has similar components] NEVER, EVER buy a 4-stroke without an electric start. Drop a 2-stroke and it's 2-3 kicks to start, drop a 4-stroke and it can be 5-10 min before it's running.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would (orange) think that the KDX would(orange) be the better bike of(orange) over the KLX. However, it's(orange) your decision to make(orange) Dave. Don't let anyone(orange) try to coerse you (orange) into anything that you will be (orange) dissapointed with in the(orange) future.

:)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
From posts that I've seen recently, I don't think the dealer will be offloading it anytime soon ;)
I've suddenly developed a rash, must be that I saw oranges or something ;) lol
If you do decide to turn orange/mango, why not 2nd hand (heck, even for green).
I had someone comment at the enduro last weekend as to how many oranges there were there - I think there was one KLX300, out of a field of about 90 riders. There were also a number of KDX's, and a couple of CRF's, but orange was the colour of the day.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom