CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Okay so as you all know I have over tightened my axle nut by about 20 pounds. So when I went to take it off after not being happy with the front wheel movement I decided it was the left colar (I crushed it) it would not slide over the axle anymore. So I knew it was the colar. BUT I go into the shop and I brought in my old colar and it would not slip over a new axle so the guy looked as stumped as I. Finally I told him to get a new colar and low and behold it slipped over both axel's. So I take it home, now stupid me didn't even bother with the new axle I just went home and tried to get the axle through the left fork and it won't budge :whiner: What gives? Do you think it is the axle? Or is it possible that by tightening 20 pounds over I somehow screwed up the hole in the bottom of my fork? I can get the axle in with a rubber mallet but after that it won't budge :whiner: What is wrong? I can't really see how tightening an axle nut to much would somehow crush the axle holder on the fork :( Im so lost, please help!!

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
There is no burr. Crushed the axle holder :whiner: That sounds so expensive, what do I do? :whiner: Oh man this is not good at all.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
First, the axle won't go in just the "axle holder" on the bottom of the fork - no wheel or anything else involved at this point. Have I got that right?

Does this "axle holder" clamp down with bolts? If so, remove the bolts and use a screwdriver to pry the clamp apart a little at a time until the axle will pass.

If you tightened the nut enough to crush the axle spacer, you may have also moved some metal on the "axle holder" as well (like Marcus said). Probably you "coined" the interface where the spacer and "axle holder" meet. Will the axle go in most of the way if you insert it from the other side? If so you need to remove a minimum amount of metal with a brake hone or just a dowel with some sandpaper on it.

Don't worry. Be happy.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Mace you had the first part right. The axle would not go in the bottom of the clamp even with no wheel or nothing. Finally after working on it and pushing and using lots of grease it seemed to move a tad more. I finally decided to just go with the rubber mallet 2 wacks and it was in. I guess that's not so bad. The front wheel is turning a tad slow right now however. I am guessing that maybe the over torquing might have fudged the bearings :( I will take it for a test ride and if the bearings are still wonky I guess I will replace them I was just hoping it wasn't something that had to do with the bottom clamp being out of wack,

thanks

oh ps mace..the axle would not go through on either side, I was thinking maybe it was the axle all along but stupid me just looked at it at the shop today and just bought the colar/spacer. Maybe I should get the other axle just incase?

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Also Mace what you said about coined, if I understand correctly. There is a little groove where the spacer and the fork meet. You can barely notice it on the bottom but the top you can feel it with your finger nail. Is this going to cause a problem?
And what can I do? Just lightly sand the inside of this axle holder? Is that all I can do?

PS. A little off topic but the wheel is still turning to slow for my liking, could have over torquing 20 pounds and NOT riding the bike STILL wreck the bearings?

grrr......last time I work on my own bike :| Well okay not last

PPS, Have any of you heard of this happening before? And is it as serious as I think it is?

Okay okay more questions, but is wet sanding or even dry sanding this clamp area okay? I mean technically it should have only pinched the one side, that's IF this axle checks out.

So can I sand this area down till the axle slides through smooth? Will I wreck anything, do I need to worry about sanding it even worse and making it fit funny? Also what grit if I do? 400wet?

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The front wheel?does it spin ok if you open the brake pads apart as often the pads will drag a bit-it may have done this all the time and you hadnt noticed.

Top Bottom