Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I have a small network at my house so that we may run 2 pcs and 1 PS2 all on our cable connection.

I got a laptop from work that worked when I plugged it into the router when I first brought it home.  It took a dump and the harddrive was replaced.  Now, I can't figure out how to configure the SOB to work.

To get onto my company's network, I run VPN dialer, type in my password, and from there either use outlook or IE.  IE won't find any websites and Outlook freezes.  Dialup works fine.  The intranet connection at the office works fine.  Just can't get it to work past my router.

Help!!! :flame: :p :cool: :think:

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Your router should be serving out an IP address that will be common except for the last segment on IP address. I don't know networking that well, but at minimum, I setup the same WORKGROUP names on all the local machines, then let the router serve out IP addresses through DHCP. Not sure of you operating system, but you should see this if you go into the TCP/IP properties.

try this to see if things look the same (on win2000 and XP).

START - then RUN - then type CMD or COMMAND and press enter

once the old ms-dos command window opens, type ipconfig /all

a quick report will come up. do this on all machines and check for differences in the network setups.

PS - sometimes VPN can be a pain and may not work with all routers.

Any network gurus out there -- don't beat me up if I am way off on this, but it generally works for me and dial-out with VPN at times.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
if you are dialing into a VPN, then it should not be going through your network. Now if you are using a VPN client to connect through your broadband connection, that is completely diffrent then dialing into a vpn. Your companies tech support should be able to help you as we don't know the specifics of your companies VPN setup.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
The bummer is they won't help with home networks. It's BS.

I have a dial up service they provide, but I had cable at home already. It' be nice if I could use it.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I know at my work, our users are not to plug thier laptops into any other netwrok, and doing so violates our usage policy. This includes you home broadband, and hotel networks. There may be some underlying policies you company has you could be trying to violate.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Well its not BS, Imagine trying to configure and support 10s, maybe 100s of users HOME hodge podge configurations with out even seeing them and knowing that most are not set up right, the man hours would be INSANE.
Anyway, we need some more info
What operating system are you using?
Like was said, your company is probably using a workgroup if not a domain and the settings are completley different from your home network. As was said by anoter poster, your router is probably set to assigne address by DHCP and serve DNS. Win XP Pro has a setting I saw that allows you to configure for multiple networks using profiles but I have not played with it yet. If you read your documentation for your router it should tell you how to set your IP settings to work with your network but youll need to remember your current settings for your work network. If your running an older OS there are 3rd party softwere that allow you to set and then choose network settings profiles at boot time (wich is when they must be applied to work in most cases) . I use GLOBESOFT MULTINETWORK MANAGER on my laptop to manage like 14 different network config profiles for all of our different sites and it works very well.
http://www.globesoft.com/software_products.html
Your other opting is to use a second netowrk adaptor to connect at home wich may sound nuts but if you use a wireless network at home, youll need a wireless network card or USB device anyway and the two adaptors will have separate TCP/IP settings. There may be a problme if your company uses a Domaine though.

Top Bottom