Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
Hi,
bike is an 02 KX 250, put on some nice new oneal bars and proceeded to loop er out today... bars arent bent much if any but in order for the front wheel to track straight the bars are noticable to the right.... just need some info from some of you more experienced riders as to whats probably f'd up so i can fix it....
By the way, can you re-bend bent bars? like with a jig or somethin? just wonderin.

any help's appreciated.. THANKS! -alex

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
All the KX's I've seen (up to "00) had rubber mounts that attach the bar mounts to the upper triple clamp. These deform easily under pressure, not that I've ever looped out or anything. Also the top bar clamp was flimsy.
Loosen the nuts that stick out of the bottom of your upper triple clamp.
Wiggle the bars and see if they will return more to the center. If the rubber cones are really stressed, buy CR500 replacement rubber cones, much tougher and fit right in. Also check the top bar clamp for deformation.
Tweaking the actual handlebars back is different in each situation, have fun.
If you have a hitch ball on your bumper, that can be a inpromptu vise.

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
thanks for the advice, I know what you mean about the rubber mounts now that I think about it ... let you know what happens when i finally have a chance to play with my bikes again...
later- alex

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Could also be the forks are tweaked in the clamps. Straddle the front wheel and grab the bars and give it a twist in the direction you need the bars to come back to and see if they move back where they should be.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
If your going to do what Chili said first loosen the bolts holding the forks. Then move them in the direction needed and retighten them.

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
cool, I think that might help too. the triple clamp is angled right as the wheel is tracking straight, so that would lead me to believe the forks are tweaked in the clamps. i'll check it out next time i'm home.
thanks guys!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by MONKEYMOUSE
If your going to do what Chili said first loosen the bolts holding the forks. Then move them in the direction needed and retighten them.

Never made a mid moto adjustment? Maybe I need to get my kid to quit crashing so I have time to loosen things before making adjustments :laugh: If your going to take the time to do it right there is a whole process involved in making sure the forks are aligned and not binding but I was simply trying to point you to the quick diagnosis route to see if that's where your problem lies.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
WHen you re-tighten the triple clamps, be sure too use a torque wrench and go too what your owners manual says.. Mine is at 14 ft/lbs..
RIck

Top Bottom