SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
a female co worker of mine is wanting to buy her 18 year old non working son a yzf 250 that has been raced.the price is cheap, (anyone else hear alarm bells ) ? i have tryed to explain to her the cost of up keep on the four strokes and the amount of upkeep the bike is gonna require. i know her son is gonna ride the wheels off of it and hes clueless on upkeep. i wanna see the boy ride and have fun, but i know his mothers financial situation. ive tryed to convince them to buy a two stroke till the boy can get some knowledge of maintaning a bike, and hopefully get an idea of the cost of keeping one up. i know how advanced the thumpers are and im clueless on helping them keep it going myself.she thinks im pullin her leg on the cost of upkeep.. again, i know hes gonna ride it to death with no care..... your opinions count and are needed... thanks !!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SINGLETRAC said:
a female co worker of mine is wanting to buy her 18 year old non working son a yzf 250 that has been raced.the price is cheap,QUOTE]

Sometimes cheap is too much. :nod:

Like in the case of a used yzf 250 that has been raced.

It depends a lot on who raced it and how it was maintained. If it was raced by a semi-pro or 'A' class rider and was not maintained, I wouldn't touch it. Especially if it was a practise bike. If it were properly maintained and parts were replaced as needed, it may be a good deal. Ask to see the maintainence schedule and the hour meter. If neither of those exist, chances are, it was not properly maintained.

You may want to remind her again that it can cost several thousand dollars to rebuild a worn out racer. I would look into the history of the bike before buying it. The two stroke would probably be the way to go if they can't afford to maintain the thumper.

Last edited:

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND COMMENT OL'89R,I THINK I MIGHT HAVE BEEN WRONG ABOUT HER FINANCIAL SITUATION, IM STARTING TO THINK SHE HAS MORE MONEY THAN SENSE !! :yell:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
SINGLETRAC said:
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND COMMENT OL'89R,I THINK I MIGHT HAVE BEEN WRONG ABOUT HER FINANCIAL SITUATION, IM STARTING TO THINK SHE HAS MORE MONEY THAN SENSE !! :yell:
Even if that is true the maintenance on that 250F just to get it running correct to start with could run him into a nice new 250 2 stroker when it gets added on to the initial price. If I was going to buy my son a beat around bike no way I would go 4 stroke these days.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
show her this.
I rebuilt my wr250f, new crank,rod,piston, and clutch, for around 1350, and thats not the dealer doing the work.
At the same time my friend rebuilt his kx80 for 100 dollars.
AND if im not changing my oil and oil filter every 5-6 hours, chances are Ill be dishing out another 1350.
If hes starting out and is clueless on maint, get him a good used yz125 :nod:

Top Bottom