3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Well It all started with a great day of riding with some very fine people.Mark I sure hope that you will start to feel better soon . I have been dreaming of a 450 for 2yrs now Thank you for offering me a ride. I would have offered you my kdx to ride if that would have helped you( I always assume no one wants to try a kdx), It is very easy to ride in the tight trees. but it can be a little lacking in the suspension Dept. when it comes to the whoops. Don thanks for the ride on your Cheater Bike , I was grinning from ear to ear when I went through every tight turn and didn't pull in the clutch. Very Cool !!! :cool: Ted getting to ride with you again was a blast . I love to hear all of your stories and listen to your advice on enduros. I really believe that every one in Michigan who has a bike Knows Ted. You Know I really love riding in the woods, I would pick it over a day at a track anytime ,But I am also learning that what is just as much fun is hanging out and talking with people who are just like Me (passionate about riding dirt bikes) The Ride went kind of like this Don leads the way on his cheater bike I try to keep up with him then either Ted or Mark behind Me .Oh By the way did I mention that the trail was in prefect condition, no dust and great traction. It had rained the night before and the temp was good.We would ride about 3to 4 miles then stop and shoot the breeze alittle.Mark offered to let me ride his brand new 450 exc about half way through the north loop but I declined saying that I wasn't warmed up yet maybe later :bang: :bang: :bang: (what was I thinking) Holton is a tight trail in some spots when I checked my trail tech I was averaging about 14 with a top speed of about 34. Im sure that alot of you could go much faster But I was having fun.We took a short break after the north loop about 14 miles total and then headed out for the southern portion of the trail.About a Mile into the southern loop I 'm feeling pretty good and keeping up wih Don (He must have slowed down) Im standing as much as I can tring to force my self to ride more aggressively but I sit down every now and then in the tight turns . I come arround a left hander and sit down and hang my feet down lazy like and Bang there is a stump I didn't see in the brush on the right side of the trail.Owh owh owh owh owh.My tech 6's did the job and i only have a small bruise on 1 of my toes. Well that really slowed me down for a while. A couple of miles later Don offers me his crf250x witha revlok auto clutch. Saweeeeeeet There is no way in the world you can stall that bike . I wish I had more time on that bike but I get a little nervous about messing up someone elses bike. After about 2:00 Don has to leave and Mark says he isn't feeling good.. Bummer he feels bad and has to stop riding. Ted and I continue on and finish the south loop about 35 miles so far for the day. I followed Ted for most of the south loop and was trying to see if I could pick up any techniques following the master. Ted is very smooth I never saw him make a mistake or stall once. After we get back to the parking lot Larry and his son Aaron showed up and rode the north loop with Ted and I. When we get about half way Larry starts looking at the trail and telling Ted that we had already gone this way and bets Ted Lunch that he is right, Ted dosent agree so we keep going I was starting to think that Larry was right then we hit some really thight stuff that we hadn't ridden before. I wonder if Larry owes Ted lunch? :p Now the day really starts to get interesting. We all pack up and leave the lot and Larry says he will show me a good camp ground nearby. We go over to blue lake co. park and it has really nice showers and bathrooms plus a nice lake.( good place to camp ) we get out and check out the place and I figure Ill head into town to get some dinner and some money and maybe check out a hotel or go down to lake mich. So we say good bye and get in our cars to leave. Then My van wont start! Larry didn't leave he was waiting to make sure I got out ok ( VERY NICE GUY ) we do some testing and Larry figures its my fuel pump. Very Long story short Larry Is a great guy. Chris Hubner is fixing my van and Larry took me to get a rental car the next day after putting me up at his place. Hopefully I will dive up Wed pickup my Van trailer and bike.Anyone want to ride wed afternoon? Curtis
Thanks again Larry and Aaron, I had a great time and hopefully someday I will get a chance to repay you for all of your Kindness.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Sounds like you met all the right people out on the trail. Larry is a great guy. And Chris.....Well he is something aint he. Hes a nice guy. Just a little crass at times. But in a pinch he is really handy to have around. Glad he could get your van going.

Hopefully next time I can hang aroun for a little longer.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Curtis - To late now, but keep this in mind. A Chevy will always get you home. With the fuel pump in the tank, you pound the tank some and it will get you going. Thanks for the positive comments as they balance out the ones that make me a Rotten Sucker.

Young Ted

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Ted, Larry ponded on the tank for 1/2 an hour and it wouldnt go. Don thanks for the invite to stay at your place. Curtis

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Curtis, it was great to meet you. Sorry you didn't get a chance to try out the 450. Next time you're in Michigan riding, let me know and I can get you a test ride.

I totally agree with your comments about Ted's riding. I was following him through the tight stuff, and started mimicking his style. I'll tell you what, the amount of energy I exerted to get through the woods dropped significantly when I did exactly what he did. He's truly the Master in the Woods.

Ted is known now as the Rotten Sucker, I think we should call him The Master Rotten Sucker! ;)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
THERE IS SO MUCH WISDOM FLOWING IN THIS THREAD THAT I AM NOT SURE I WANNA CORRUPT IT...
WOW - Curtis, THANKS for the fantastic ride report! I only wish I could have made that one!! Concerning the testing of the Tech 6's - EVERYTIME I have something like that happen to me I think to my self "and I thought good boots were fairly expensive, $200 compared to a rebuilt foot and maybe never walking correctly again is very reasonable". I think boots are just as important as Helmets in our sport - dont you?
Yea you really missed something by not riding Marks new bike but you got a good taste of how much some people will CHEAT when you rode Skippy! I guess that is just one the the reasons that Donny fits in som nicely as a grasshopper under the Master of Rottensuckerness :nod:
Most certainly Larry is an AWESOME person and a RIOT to hang with. Just be careful because he can come across as a shy type but when you least expect it - WHAM - total ROTTEN SUCKERNESS - trust me!
As far as Young Ted goes... Master Rotten Sucker is perfect Mark!
Ted - you are going to need a WHOLE lot more of something on one side of that scale to get it balanced out my friend. You could use the heavy side of it as a counter wieght on a crane.. sorry but thats the way ol Woodsy sees it :rotfl:
Conerning Wednesday Curtis.. Hmmmmm.. WHat time you coming over?

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Mark - Exerting less energy is due to the following. Be lazy, financially conservative and respect trees.

Woodsy - When I can post pictures again, that counterweight might knock you silly. If that is a possibility.

Young Ted

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
INCA said:
Mark - Exerting less energy is due to the following. Be lazy, financially conservative and respect trees.

Well I make it two of the three points of wisdom! I'm sure you can guess which one I don't follow. Good thing I married the woman I did to help balance out that third one a little bit!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Mark - Financially conservative means the following. Reduce the stroke on the accelerating pump, keep right wrist movement to a minimum, use brakes sparingly. This helps keep operating and repair costs down, which allows more $ for riding. You may not go as fast but what is the hurry on a trail ride? Class is over.

Young Ted

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Words of wisdom from the Master

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
The Jedi Master.........

INCA said:
Mark - Financially conservative means the following. Reduce the stroke on the accelerating pump, keep right wrist movement to a minimum, use brakes sparingly. This helps keep operating and repair costs down, which allows more $ for riding. You may not go as fast but what is the hurry on a trail ride? Class is over.

Young Ted

Top Bottom