YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well its not the call of Woodsy the owl :|

Its the call of the Snowy Owl :nod:

I think its about time to kickstart this puppy!

What is it?

I think there a few that know.

Its a snow ride.

Yea I know we have been riding in the snow all winter whats the big deal right. Well this is a snow ride with a twist. Were gonna ride at night via headlight :laugh:

This ride origonated about 2-3 years back. It has missed a year in there somewhere. My friend.....Hmmm do I dare call him a friend :think: ????? Hell why not, My friend Huby started this ride. They used to ride right out of the back of his house located right on the Holton loop. But due to recent events we have lost acess to that staging area so we have to relocate elsewhere. I have never rode this one myself. I have rode at night but never in the winter.

I know there was talk about this ride on our last riffle season night ride. So I thought I would try and reserect the Owl.

Seeing as winter looks like its here to stay. I think this is a good time to hit the woods before the snow gets too deep.

As for when, I can go either late Friday night like 9:00pm or a Monday or Tuesday night. I was kinda thinking of next Monday being a good canidate.

I was thinking maybe riding either Holton or Horseshoe around maybe 6:30pm ish.

Any takers?

snow_owl.jpg

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
man, you guys SUCK!

I'm gonna be in TN either hanging from a cliff, or having barley pops by a fire. It's probably for the best though. I dont think the KDX puts out enough Lumens to do a night ride.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Actually Don the Snowy Owl has it beginnings farther back then that.. The very first one was a HUGE success!! We left Huby's at 9:30ish (YES - the Snowy Owl IS a night time single track ride - only the tightest and the best too!! good ol Huby) and not a snow flake on the ground.. By the time we got to Horseshoe you could hardly see 2 feet in front of your bike - I AM NOT JOKING!! We got hit so bad we had to seek refuge at some guy house that Chris knew up there.. We came home in over 8 inches of snow!! Huby still says that was the funnest ride he has EVER been on!! I was riding an XR350 at the time, seems like Larry was on his 94 KTM300 (been a longggg time since he has ridden that one!!)....
Ironically, Huby and I were just talking about the Owl.. I KNOW he is wanting to do it too!!! LETS GET ER DONE!!
I like the idea of Monday myself - that way we can make it a Monday Riders ride too :rotfl:
Woodsy :ride:
Oh yea, you guys dont HAVE to have lights - if there is snow you can see REAL good!! Larry and I used to do it all the time (when we were younger right Scooter??) - 2 a.m. and we're out on Twisty having a riot :aj:
No snow - different story!!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Wolf Child said:
man, you guys SUCK!

Scott - Jealous?

Dave - Proof that all are not locked up.

Woodsy - Can you make it, or will you be locked up for being a careless driver?

El Loco # 2

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
woodsy said:
I like the idea of Monday myself - that way we can make it a Monday Riders ride too :rotfl:

That was actually what I was thinking. I know Monday is a good day for you and Larry to ride.

Tell Larry, him or his kid is welcome to ride one of my bikes. Even though the YZ has awsome lighting I think I am gonna try the Honda. I have the back tire re-done on the Honda and have been itching to try it out. So if someone wants the YZ its avaliable. The back tire may start coming apart on them but hopefully it should hold together long enough for one more ride. The screws on the YZ are getting a little iffy. But I have some used ones laying around that I could put in to reinforce it for one more ride.

Ill tell Keith also See if he can make. He sounded interested last time I mentioned it. If nothing else he can get the word to Huby about the ride. If Keith goes we may need to move the time out a little to give him time to get there. He dont get outta work till 6:00pm. And thats down in Zeeland. So it may be closer to 7:30pm.

So where is it gonna be at. Horseshoe staging or Holton Staging?

Even though I am platted I want to avoid road as much as possible. Those tires of mine wont tolerate more than a road crossing's worth of pavement before landing me on my butt.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
woodsy said:
Actually Don the Snowy Owl has it beginnings farther back then that.. The very first one was a HUGE success!!

Wasn't Keith with you on that one as well? I remember Keith talking about riding with Kelly Smiths dad out there. Was that the ride that he was with you guys. His name was Hirshel (sp) Smith. I think he had his younger son (not Kelly) with him as well. Keith said that neither of them were studded and going like a bat outta hell.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I'm making plans as follows.
Monday, 2/20/2006
6 - 6:30 PM
Brunswick Rd. Parking for Holton loop.

Come one, come all to an On Any Monday Trailriders get lost session. You too 3G's Aaron.

Woodsy got a ticket,
He's now determined to beat it.
Careless driving is the charge,
That has caused him umbrage.

Were it riding instead,
He couild be in over his head.
Since this is not the case,
His defense has a solid base.

In court he will appear,
To bend the judges ear.
He may bellow like a bison,
Until he realizes the judge is MWEISSEN.

Young Ted

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well I was just talkin to Huby and Keith-bob. Keith would love to ride but dont think he can make it due to work issues. Huby is interested. Even more so when I offered him my YZ (all his studded tires are under lock and key and unavaliable to him). Time will tell if he shows up or not. They were talking that latter in the week will work better for them. Which wont work for me.

Who all is in for this so far?

Yz
Inca
Woodsy

If needed we can postpone this ride in order to get more fellas to come on out. It wont kill me. But either way Ill ride. You know me.

I think I am gonna head out to Cedar tomorrow morning to blow the cobwebs out a little. Even if its just bombin down the sled trails for a while. I am climbin the walls this weekend. I need to get out BAD!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I got more screws in the back of the YZ in case someone wants to ride it. The Honda is good to go.

Youall will get a chuckle outta how I reinforced the side knobs on the YZ to prevent them from coming completely off. Used drywall screws to screw them to the knobs next to them.What the heck its junk either way. Whats a handfull of screws more.

So whats the plan for tomorrow? We in or what? Woodsy your being awfull quiet. Crazytrails I see you are lurkin around here. What are you and your pops up to.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Don - INCA, the horse thief and the van, (Davies Dinghy), are set to go. I'll check here for last minute what have you before I head down the driveway at 5 AM. Don't wonder why I'm leaving so early. There are things I have to take care of.

Let's ride.

Per Denny - El Loco

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
Well boys, i would love to go for a ride.. I haven't been riding much at all cuz of issues with the YZ jetting :bang: , and cuz its been extremely cold lately.. About how long do you guys plan on riding"12 0'clock or 2 in the morning"? When my old man, woodsy, and the boys did this ride it wasn't just a few hours!! It went into the weee hours of morning :ride: .. I have to work early so i don't really want to ride until 2 and then have to wake up at 6 in the morning for work.. Scooter is most likely not interested in riding, but i will ask him.. I would be up for a friday night ride or sat. night, but weekdays kinda dont' work.. sorry.. well let me know what you kids are thinkin and we will see...

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
Oh, and i would like to get in atleast one more winter ride before march.. This is because i will be pulling the studs out of the YZ.. Enduro's season starts march 5.. So the bike will be setup for Enduros, not winter.. so as much as i would like this to be my last winter ride this year, if it isn't than i guess i will have to ride during the day this coming weekend...

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well Crazy I dont plan on being out till the wee hours of the morning. Unlike some of these Night owl's I have to work Tuesday morning. Im plannin on being home and in bed my midnight at the lattest. Of course when you ride with certain people (Im not namin names) schedules have a way of going out the window.

Hope to see ya's there. I still have a spare bike for you or Scooter. The YZ is beggin to be ridden.

So where are we ridding anyways??? Holton or Horseshoe? Dont matter to me. As long as I stay away from pavement I am happy. Im kinda leaning towards Holton myself. I dont ride that one very often. But either way. Heck Ill even ride Cedar. I dont care.

If nothing else someone give me a shout at work to let me know where we are gonna be at. Im headin home at 5:00pm hookin up the trailer and headin north. Were has yet to me determined.

(616) 850-8284

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
INCA said:
I'm making plans as follows.
Monday, 2/20/2006
6 - 6:30 PM
Brunswick Rd. Parking for Holton loop.

Oh my bad. I see the location has already been determined :cool:

Ill be there unless I hear otherwise :ride:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well I just pulled in from a hard day of work... Looks like I may be a little late for the 6:30 start at Holton.. You guys are haveing a RIOT out there if you did hook up.. The weather is B EAUTIFUL!! It has warmed up over 20 degrees since last night at this time..
and life goes on.....
Hey Craze - tell your pop that Randy called again today. Said he was on the beach in Florida and was bored.. I didnt tell him about our non-boring time at the Indy show - you remember it dont you?? Lets try and get a quick ride in before the next cold snap thats coming our way....
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
woodsy said:
You guys are haveing a RIOT out there if you did hook up.. The weather is B.E.A. UTIFUL!!

You failed MISERABLY. I just got home. Inca and I had a RIOT!!! Temps were perfect. Snow conditions were best I have ever rode on. Snow was frozen solid. You barely broke thru the top. Traction was unreal :)

Skippy ran perfect. Those tires are AWSOME!!! I like them A LOT! :cool:

Woodsy you should be afraid. Whenever Rotten sucker #1 and Rotten sucker #2 get together for a ride there is no tellin the trouble we can stir up. Keep lookin over your shoulder there buddy :nener:

Ill post more latter. I have pictures. I am so wired I am bouncin off the walls right now :aj:

How the heck am I ever going to get to sleep :yeehaw:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Ok I finially found my camera. Here ya go.

P2190089.jpg

P2190090.jpg

I really like this one. Most of the trail looked just like this. I was following small animal tracks most of the night. Looks like a rabbit or something.

P2190091.jpg

I had so much fun out there that I am thinking that there has to be a repeat performance of this ride in another week or so. Hopefully these picts will be enough to get some of ya off the couch and on the trail :laugh:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Two El Loco's Get 'Er Done

Denny - After reading your first post here, I enjoyed a good laugh. Your choice of of words was to me a positive compliment. They also fit in with what INCA stands for. The origin is an entirely different story.

Another side of the ride, from Rotten Sucker El Loco #2. I arrived a little early and did some warmup exploring to check out trail conditions and wait for the masses to show up. It didn't happen. There was a base of snow covered with a layer of ice and more snow on top. When you broke through the ice layer it made a strong rumbling sound.
So off we go heading south of Brunswick Rd., with Don in the lead. Other than going around downed trees and having to look for the trail again, things were as normal as could be. I could keep Don's tail light in sight only for a while. However, he would make a quick stop now and then, to make sure I was OK. I'm not touching what else he was doing. Somewhere before we got to Blue Lake Rd., we followed snowmobile tracks through a wide red pipe gate. Although this didn't look familiar to me, I just follow the leader. Shortly after that Don makes a left through somewhat open woods and we're back on the single track.
Exactly what happens to the trail west of Blue Lake Rd., I have yet to figure out. It is supposed to go out from Crystal Lake Rd. and make a loop, very much like a sucker, where you double back to make the stem. At one point Don stopped and asked - "Which way should we go?.
"Beats me, I don't know where we are."
"Lets go this way, we can always come back."
So off to the right it is, until there are trail blocker posts in the way. We must have missed a turn back by the last downed tree maybe. Since there is a snowmobile trail ahead of us, we get on that and go right. I am still strictly the follower. Next thing we know, we see our tracks crossing from left to right. From here on it's a snap getting back to finish the sucker stem. Other than being in a mile square section, I was lost as to where we were.
The backtracking to the lot was easier, as the downed tree go arounds were now marked. One would think the snowmobilers would be out in force on such a night, but I only spotted two headlights through the woods. Don - could it be that some potatoes have more fun on the couch?
It was after 10 when we got back to the vehicles, having covered 24 miles in 2 3/4 hours running time. Our assessment of the ride was all on the good side. I went down a couple times, of course, and the Honda wanted to take a nap while a limb was being moved. Don did mention it was harder following two tracks than breaking track, while for me it was easier following three than one. Another ride for the book of memories in the life of El Loco #2.

Young Ted

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I just realized that I've made a mistake in who posted El Loco.

Denny - Apparently I got carried away by the D from Dave Leathers, whose post I attributed to you. This has ben an error on my part, and I'm owning up to it.

Young Ted

Top Bottom