How do we best set up the SX 125 for Hare Scramble

Jeff Siegel

Jan 9, 2002
My son had outgrown his YZ 80 but didn't have the weight and strength to kick start my 200 MXC. (He is 5'-8" tall but only weighs about 110 lbs.) Since KTM doesn't make the 125EXC anymore he decided to buy the SX125. He loves the bike but I'm sure he would ride better if he was on a true woods bike.
We have installed an 8 oz. flywheel weight to soften up the hit.
What else can we do to make this bike better suited for the woods/hare scramble thing?
I thought that a FMF Gnarley pipe would give it more low end but FMF doesn"t make the Gnarley for the SX 125. The Fatty is supposed to produce more power in all range but to me the bike feels like it's really lacking in low end power.
We would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
Jeff

pinenut

Aug 7, 2001
I would keep the stock pipe. the fatty adds some mid and top but the bottom loses some. at his weight put your money into the suspension.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I just got this month's Trail Rider magazine in the mail today. I haven't read the atricle yet but they discuss exactly what you want to do. Converting a KTM SX125 into a 125EXC. If you don't have access to the magazine I can post some of the tips when I get a chance to read it.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
What year 125 SX are we talking about?

The '03 Sx's have more bottom than any 125 I have ever ridden. It works awesome in the woods stock!!

Coach

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My advise is to turn it into a 4-stroke. If that's not an option, barkbusters...I repeat, barkbusters.
You may also try 13/52 gearing, lower the shock fluid a lil, stay on the pipe and forget about trying to change the low-end.

Jeff Siegel

Jan 9, 2002
Thanks for your input.
We have set the suspension to supersoft settings but he thinks the supsension is still a little to stiff, so we will try a little lower oil level in the front forks. You can't adjust fluid level in the rear shock can you?
We will see if we can locate a copy of Trail Rider. Was the artical in the November issue?
My son bought one of the left over 02's but from what I understand the motor isn't much different on the 03's. You might be right about having more low end the most 125's, but it's still a MX bike, mostly mid to top end power. Need more low end when trying to pick your way up a winding, wet, steep hill full of rocks and roots.
Your right. Got to have bark busters. They were on the bike before he was.
We intend to go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket when it needs to be replaced.
Doesn't the thickness of the cylinder and base gaskets affect your low end power? Thickner of thinner?

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Might want to try a pro circuit pipe and a reed cage to get more bottom-. As for the suspension-it's set up for moto-revalve will proabably be needed.

Top Bottom