How do you mount your whip flag?

dazed1985

Mar 13, 2003
Hey, I'm trying to find out the best way to mount a whip flag on my KTM 400 EXC. Right now i'm looking at putting a U type bolt around the right side of the swingarm and attaching a piece of angle. Any other ideas?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
By all means, don't mount @ the swingarm! Those flags can break and now you've got a sharp fiberglass harpoon trying to stab your leg. I mounted mine about 6" back from the seat in the fender. The flag should come with a threaded post about 1" that you can drill through your fender-just make sure to add some large fender washers to help stabilize the plastic.

dazed1985

Mar 13, 2003
This flag is way to heavy and long to mount on fender without more support than a big washer, I thought about that, but I would have to fasten a metal bracket under the fender for the support it needs. I had one mounted on a seat bolt on the bike bike I had before, but it kept swinging and hitting me on the back, so anywhere near the seat or on the fender and it hits me on the back. So if I put in way back near the nut on the swingarm should be good. I have a really long whip, over 8 feet, because of Little Sahara Oklahoma requirements. It needs a lot of support. Still yet it could break just the same on the fender, if i doesn't tear the fender off first, then it sticks in your back, thing Id rather have it stick through my leg :D!

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
They make a bracket that goes under your axle nut and the flag attaches to it. you could probably find it by searching the net. I think they are around ten bucks or you could fab your own. It's not that high tech.

Last edited:

hotrodvw

Dec 15, 2002
I used a piece of 2" x 1/8" flat steel stock, and mounted it to my sub-frame. I just bent it over 90 deg., punched a hole in it, a gave it a coat of paint. Don't put it on the swing arm.....not only does it look gay, but t your paddle will grab it when the whip sways to the side. They break all the time there. Mine sits just above my silencer....make sure you can still swing your leg over the seat with your boots on! =) Good luck. Eric

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I use the axle bracket which works well. One thing that I found after breaking 5 or 6 flags was to drill a hole in the fender on the side where the flag is and use 2 zip ties one looped through the hole in the fender then loop the second through the first and around the flag this will hold the flag close to the fender and keep it from getting sucked in to the paddle. Keep the ties loose maybe about 2" diameter to allow for some movement of the flag.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Unless you are using some sort of odd flag, the standard issue ones @ Wynoka will ride fine on the fender. Our last trip down there in February had a dozen bikes w/ em' mounted on the fender-they all worked fine.

Top Bottom