How is everyone injuring their knee?

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Im seein A LOT of injured knees and Im wondering if there's a re-occuring pattern?

I injured my knee 1.5 weeks ago by lowsiding into a rock nub which punctured deep into the knee just outside the cap. It feels better but Im still having difficult with stairs, getting in car and such. Doc took a look with her eyes and said it doesnt look that bad but Im starting to wonder now. My knee cap is much higher than the other and I still get sharp pains when I my leg is bent more than 90 degrees. I'll take it ez for another week and see but in the mean time Im wondering what scenerio surrounded your injury.

Off to the store to get some freekin' knee pads!

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Might be time to look for some braces instead of pads. I high sided my bike Saturday and not at a real high rate of speed, I have asterisk cells and wear them every time I ride. Sometimes I wondered if they were neccesary but when I landed my knee was turned backwards andf hit the stops on the braces. Tweaked the hinges(Asterisk is sending replacements :) ) and left a pretty large bruise right above the brace but my knee is fine. With the force of the impact there is no doubt in my mind that the brace saved my knee :thumb: I have pics of my brace and my leg I'll put up. You never know when it might be your day.

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
Good luck with the healing, it sounds worse than mine, but I had the same pain that you describe. I low sided in a sand berm and got my leg twisted under the bike. It has taken about 6 weeks for all the pain to go away, so just try to not think about riding, and it will be healed up soon.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i've broken eight bones riding motorcycles but never had even a minor knee injury. go figure :o

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
I don't think I'd want to trade any of those experiences for mine. I have never broken a bone in 40 years now and I'm not ready to start. I must not ride on the edge. I have a problem with pain, I don't like it.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Jay, I've never had a knee problem before either--but have turned other bones into butta'--particularly ankles, feet...

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I went over the handlebars (missed the trail and instead hit a washed out ditch 5 feet down) and the bike hit my leg in the air and severed ACL,MCL,PCL and tore the LCL and cartilage and chipped the kneecap and tibia....whew....just makes me cringe again thinking about it. I was only wearing knee pads. I now have 2 CTI2's and highly recommend them.

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
I cam up on a dead tree bottom (roots and all) in a HS at speed and tryed to bunny hop it (no other choice) me and the bike seperated and I landed off the trail spining in the air on my right knee, thinking about it I'm lucky I just twisted it. I dont ride without my EVS 6 but i'm plaining on getting a set of WEB's soon.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Good topic, my knee injuries kind of healed there selfs after a couple of months. The latest injury hapened when I hit a deep dust pocket before a turn, the bike just slid under me and I went flying and landed with right leg extended-kerpop, ouch. Mri revealed torn meniscus cartilage, and was removed a month ago. Bought the Cell braces before my next ride after injury, was wearing knee pads at the time.

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
prior to wearing brace i managed to loop a bike through a set of severe whoops (no i have no idea how i managed it either)

and did a flying W landed ankles out and kinda knock knee'd and managed to partially rupture the medial co-lateral ligament in both legs,, finished the race tho both legs felt pretty odd. healed pretty quick but a pretty silly crash.

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
I injured my knee when I was getting way to big for my 80 and I was a super mini rider. It was on a really dry track and I hyper extended my knee in a big dry rut.

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
All I did was fall off after hitting a stump in the ground going slow and bruised my knee for two weeks. I'm new to riding and that was my first wreak after riding about 15 hours. I hear that knee braces are highly recommended. Can you buy braces that include knee pads in them. How much are an average set of knee braces?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I was coming off a table top and the dirt was washy and I don't remember how I actually crashed other than the sensation of velcro ripping in my left knee. It hurt like heck for 8 weeks but no real damage. No torn ACL, MCL, etc... I was lucky.

I'm planning on winning the Askterisk braces at Dirtweek this year fer sure!

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Rairden: I have a custom Donjoy Defiance knee brace for the knee I've had surgery on (both incidents were skiing though). I'm currently just using a Fox shin/knee guard on my other knee, but in the past few weeks that knee has been bruised and banged up pretty good. The one in the knee brace with the patellar cup is faring much better. I'm in the process of finding various knee braces to figure out which model fits best.

As far as prices go: Asterisk Cells are $549 a pair and I've seen the EVS Web on sale for around $300 each. Any knee brace advertised for MX use is going to have integrated knee pads. If you have a regular knee brace like my Donjoy you'll probably have to add the knee pad, but I believe they all offer it as an option.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I injured mine when I jumped a tall table top ( on a track ) at the same time the track owner decided to remove some loose dirt from the landing side with his loader. ( no flaggers or anyone in front of table, and there were still 3 of us on the track ).

Anyhow - came out pretty well considering - severed left ACL, Patellar, meniscus damage and a broken left femur condial. The right side was not to be left out tho, patella was in 3 pieces.

I also re-injured the left knee about 6 mos. ago when my body twisted over my left foot, which was well planted on the foot peg. A torn MCL, but that is all healed with no surgury. I wear an EVS on the left, and reg. shin guard/ knee cup on the right. In my particular case with the first accident, a knee brace would have done no good , but I think it minimized the MCL tear with the second incident. The first accident I was wearing knee/shin guards which might have spread a little of the impact? I do know the top side of the bucket sliced through them pretty easy, but I still think they helped and might have prevented a broken tib as well. My next piece of safety gear is a pair of asterisk or cells since my evs brace is getting a little trashed. You can never have too much of that stuff!! :)

GAnderson

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2002
"I injured mine when I jumped a tall table top ( on a track ) at the same time the track owner decided to remove some loose dirt from the landing side with his loader. ( no flaggers or anyone in front of table, and there were still 3 of us on the track )."

Oh that's safe! I want to ride there.

GAnderson

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2002
What was the owner's response ... I wonder if moving heavy equipment obstacles onto the track was written out in fine print of his rider waiver.... was he pissed you bloodied up his bucket/loader?

Hitting heavy imovable objects (especially sharp heavy machinery) at speed is ugly ... sounds like you did get lucky

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Ironically, that fine print does not exist! The "blanket" statements do of course, but don't hold up well in a court of law , when unforseeable, gross negligence occurs. ( depending on the state ) but that is a whole other can of worms!

YES, I was a lucky dude, and he did not even make me clean up - of course you tend to bleed more after the impact rather than during unless your pumpkin gets wacked real good, and thank god that was not the case.

PaulTTR250

Mar 19, 2000
I wear a CTi2 on my right knee after ruining the ligaments, and a Don Joy on my left after orthoscopic surgery to clean up the joint.

The CTi2 is much better, no comparison at all. The Donjoy has required new straps and is going again, plus it is much bulkier and chews on my pants and the tank.

My learnings, get a brace that allows the back of your knee to be well clear of all the straps, and wear a sleeve over the skin. I run long distance trails and harescrambles, and the brace straps can turn the back of your knee into hamburger. I expect in motocross where you're standing up it isn't so much of a problem.

As for the cost; 20% co-pay and deductible on knee surgery is way more money than these new Asterisk and EV6 braces.

Have fun!

alcherny08

Apr 21, 2003
I was racing through a creek and my bike slipped on some of the rocks underneath and went down with my right knee sticking strait out. It took me three weeks to recover, but I didn't see a doc.

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
what are CTI2's? my cousin told me i should go to a local doctor He recommended and have them prescribe some knee braces for preventive use. he said my INS. should cover the cost (I have excellent INS). I'm going to do a search on these CTI2's and the Asterisk mentioned above.

I hyperextended my left knee in high school (15yrs ago) it gives me athritic pain but no loss of mobility. My family traditionally has bad shoulders!

thanks
Todd

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom