TByrd

Mar 29, 2001
Yesterday I received my first KTM '01, 380mxc. I'm currently using up the lock-tite and checking things over. I was wondering how long you run at 32:1 assuming you change to 40:1. Also, I would appreciate any tips for the rookie....jetting, tricks parts, etc....

------------------
'01 KTM 380 MXC

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
I would run one full tank and follow the manual's break-in procedure. After that you should be good for 40-1. You will have to do some jetting, I would wait until after a couple rides and the engine is broke-in. Then get ready to rip.

------------------
“ If we weren’t all crazy we would go insane” Jimmy Buffett
'99 KTM 380sx

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I was starting to think I was the only guy up here in the Hi Dez on a non-Jap bike! I've been running my 96 360EXC at 40:1 since the third tank- no problems. Use a good oil,and you'll definately have to re-jet up here for our elevation. I went with a FMF pipe/silencer combo, (fatty/turbine core), dropped the pilot and the main about two sizes, and went to the next leaner needle size. I can ride from my house, (Victorville), hit the ridges along 138, and back, no problem. The bike flat rips! For saving your levers, try tucking a pair of Malcolm Smith 'Dominators' behind a pair of Acerbis RallyeGuards; haven't broken one since.
Hope to see you on the trail!

TByrd

Mar 29, 2001
KTMBOY,

Maybe we could hook up, I just got off a Blue 4 stroke, and can use all the mentoring I can get! I'm in the process of re-jetting, I've found the bike to be very rich. If your looking for a riding partner try e-mailing me.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Zero!! I just broke in a new top end 40:1 pure synthetic (MX2T) 2-stroke oil. I really believe what I was told a couple of years ago about breakin. 15 mins of nothing past half throttle to wake the motor up, and that's the break-in. Then ride it like you normally would.

I bought a '99 380 from the guy who told me this. He grew up in S. Ca on dirt bikes. He is now in his 50's, and still one heck of a rider. He had 1000 miles on the 380 when I bought it. I put another 1000 on it. I sold it to a good friend of mine who put 1000 miles on it. The miles include races! He just put in a new top end, just because a couple of us just did in our bikes. The reason why I am telling you this is, you don't have to ride easy to preserve the bike. Ride it like you race it, and leave it jetted rich on break-in and that's all.

Post back your jetting questions once it's broken in. The 380 is pretty easy to dial in. You made a great choice in bikes!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Sent your requested e-mail, but not sure it got through. I'll send another. Sorry if you got two. Look forward to riding with someone on another big bike. I can definately show you a couple little tricks I've learned. Until you get the jetting dialed, always carry an extra plug. Will contact you soon!
ktmboy--

Top Bottom