How many rear fenders have you gone through?

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
My wife is convinced that it is going to cost $25 every time I ride. I'm not sure if I'm convinced that it isn't going to! I've had my KX for about three weeks now and Friday I broke the rear fender clean off for the second time in as many weeks. The first time I looped it on a sandy hill and Friday I broke it in a third gear crash while trying too hard to get air on another sandy hill climb. It was actually a pretty comical crash. I ass planted and sat there watching my bike cart wheel a couple of times. I think I need to slow down and chill out until I learn how to ride again. It just been too long and this KX seems to have something that my 88' CR250 didn't. Either that or I need a wheelie bar! :laugh:

Here is a stock tip! Get some shares of UFO plastic!! I have a feeling its going to start climbing.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Dude, instead of replacing the fender, try fixing it until you get back in the riding groove. Get some stainless steel wire and flatten it slightly with a hammer. Now bend it into little s-shapes back and forth. Heat up wire and broken fender then gently press the wire into the plastic across the crack. Let cool, now you're good to go. I broke my rear fender first ride (never rode a bike with a hit in the midrange before) and I'm too cheap to replace it. This works like a charm and is very strong. Another option is to drill a small hole at each end of the crack and then put holes along each side of the crack and put ty wraps around the crack. Not as pretty as the wire method, but it's really easy to do.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I'm hard on handlebars and levers...never broke any plastics off. Well do my handguards count?

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
for some reason i break levers like nothing.. I was sitting next to a big back ho and i was leaning against it and all of a sudden i just fell over in a mud/water hole and broke my lever for like the 30th time lol

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Spend some $ next time and get ASV levers.. unbreakable and a 5 year waranty. Adjustable reach as well. Good stuff!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
there is a geometry to all rear fenders, what i did was study it for a minute and when i figured out the most strategic place was, i cut a small notch out of both sides of the rear fender to allow it to flip itself inside out in the event of a loop out . ive since had the same rear fender for 2 full seasons, and the graphics cover the crease where the color lightens

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Okiewan said:
Spend some $ next time and get ASV levers.. unbreakable and a 5 year waranty. Adjustable reach as well. Good stuff!
I really need to do that...I keep hinting to Phil...

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I broke 2. One broke clean off in a wheelie and I broke one half way across on sunday by flipping over the bars.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
SpeedyManiac said:
Dude, instead of replacing the fender, try fixing it until you get back in the riding groove. Get some stainless steel wire and flatten it slightly with a hammer. Now bend it into little s-shapes back and forth. Heat up wire and broken fender then gently press the wire into the plastic across the crack. Let cool, now you're good to go. I broke my rear fender first ride (never rode a bike with a hit in the midrange before) and I'm too cheap to replace it. This works like a charm and is very strong. Another option is to drill a small hole at each end of the crack and then put holes along each side of the crack and put ty wraps around the crack. Not as pretty as the wire method, but it's really easy to do.

I think that you should post some pics on this wire method thing, it sounds real interesting......

My bike didnt come with no rear fender, lol, but i havent broken any yet anyhow.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'll try to get some pictures over christmas. Right now my bike is about 1000 miles away, but I'll try to remember to get some pictures next time I'm home.

Top Bottom