04_edge

Jan 30, 2008
ive been looking to buy a dirt bike, and i came accross one on craiglist for $1500, it looks to be in good shape, does that sound decent?... i dont know a whole lot about dirt bikes as ive mostly ridden 3/4 wheelers my whole life...

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Hard to say.. post a pic of it, or post the link to the craigslist page if there is a pic of it, may help to see the bike.. if its in good shape the price doesnt seem too bad to me.

I got mine off craigslist about a month ago, an 03 RM125 for $2k, it certainly wasnt perfect, but I didnt need something brand new either.. Ive spent more than a few hours going through the bike making sure it is all there and in good shape, and spent alot of money now on things I didnt expect to have to buy(in new parts), maybe I am just picky?

I thought it was a perfect used bike from spinning the tires and riding it up and down the street a few times etc. I like it and dont mind doing the work on it to make it better, or spending a few dollars on it, but if I had it to do over again I may have looked at something else..

If you really like it, go see it, look for paint wear on the frame from boots, spin the tires to see if the rims and brake rotors are all bent up, lift and shake the forks/front tire to see if the headset is tight, check the sprockets for wear, take it for a spin if you can etc.. know what your getting Id say is the best way I can put it, if the bike needs parts or work, use it to bargain with the seller to drop his price.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
When you go to look at it, ask to see the air filter. If it is dirty then that's probably a sign the owner didn't really take care of the bike. I mean if he/she can't even clean the filter when selling the bike who knows how he/she treated it before... Other than that, like the above post said, see if you can take it for a quick ride. But asuming that everything is ok with it, $1500 sounds like a good price.

04_edge

Jan 30, 2008
it wont let me post the link, the spam filter keeps kicking in when i try to post it...i guess because im a newb here?

does anyone have any link to good 2 stroke FAQ's?
ive got some questions but most are pretty newbish id think..

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
04_edge said:
it wont let me post the link, the spam filter keeps kicking in when i try to post it...i guess because im a newb here?

does anyone have any link to good 2 stroke FAQ's?
ive got some questions but most are pretty newbish id think..

Post up where it is, location-wise, anyone can search anywhere on craigslist, not just in their specific hometown... if there is a pic on there of the bike I mean of course :cool:

thiggi

Jan 8, 2008
I just bought a 2001 yz250, stock with helmet, chest protector, and boots in good condition for $1200 which i thought was an excellent deal.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
I picked up an 01', four rides on a fresh top end, forged wiseco, Pro Circuit Platinum, Silencer, new sprockets, chain, new plastics, One Industries graphics kit. Really clean bike. Needs a seat cover, thats it. And I paid $1300. In Pittsburgh, everyone seems to think I got myself an awesome deal on it.

Now if only I weighed a little more/was taller. Being 5'7", 155lbs, is not condusive to having an easy bike to start. Im so off balance on my tip toes that I have a hard time kicking it if I cant lean it against something hahah lol. But I manage. Its way more whicked than my 125. Thats actually one of the better years for a YZ250. Only difference between it and the newer ones, engine wise, is the spacer between the reed cage and engine. 01's didnt have it, so they hit harder, which is sheweet.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Wow, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I saw one for sale in the local paper here for 3,000 !! But bike prices here are just stupid right now.

Top Bottom