MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Need to get myself off the ground so I can reply to this post... Oops there I go again. Ooops, I am down again. Help..... I can't stay up...

What I was trying to say before I fell again was... Oh $$#$#@@! I'm down again,

I was trying to say, alot.
I can't stay on my.... Oh #@$!#$ down again..

Well you get the point. :eek:

Ed_Thmpr

May 16, 2001
Crashing is an art.....

I think that falling is a major part of the rush you get from dirtbiking, the chance that the next corner might pull in real tight and send you headfirst into a tree. After a big crash, it hurts, but what about that adrenaline rush, where you jump up and down and run around? That's what makes this sport the best.

I fall pretty often (2 or 3 times per ride), and the last crash I had, I tore all the ligaments in my shoulder, but you gotta get back on, and keep on pushing yourself.

I mean, you can't live forever, heh?
:D

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
:think Its not how many times you fall that is important, it's how many times you get back up ! So far in 37 years its a the same number.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
:think Its not how many times you fall that is important, it's how many times you get back up ! So far in 37 years its a the same number.

Last edited:

padrutt199

May 22, 2001
2 years ago was my first motocross race and i fell four times in a four lap moto i was pushing way to hard . i had a race two weeks ago and i had a bad start so i was going as fast as i could and didn't crash until the last lap when someone hit me.so you might need to ride more, i ride every day for about 3-4 hours and i crash once a day sometimes i dont even crash but then im lucky.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I generally only fall when I'm tired. But something I read many months ago still makes me laugh when I read it. I'll post the most relevant part, from a column by Ed Hertfelder.

"Fourth Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Spill.
This doesn't mean you cannot spill when riding alone, that's encouraged; it means you shouldn't spill in an enduro because then you're liable to get wrapped up in a ball with the next four riders following you. There was a time when a bike would go down inside a 20 foot ball of dust, and stay there. Today, they've made the things so fast, and given them such long-legged suspensions, that the bikes come bounding out the far side of the dust ball like Olympic gymnasts doing floor exercises. The three-turn endo, once a rarity, is now a required exercise."
If you'd like to read the whole article it's at http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdirt/trailrider/hertfelder/4hertf.html :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A guy was sitting at the bar drinking heavily. The bartender noticed how drunk he was getting and cut him off.

He turned around to step off the bar stool and fell flat on his face. He tried to get up and fell again. Then he crawled out of the bar and got to his car and tried to stand up again and fell on his butt.

Somehow he got home and stepped out of his car and fell down again. He crawled into the house and went to bed.

The next morning, his wife came in and said, "were you drinking again last night?" He said why do you ask? She said, the bartender called and said you left your wheelchair at the bar again.

In regard to the original post. I feel that if you don't fall once in a while, you are not pushing the limits. It is hard to find your own limit and the limit of your machine without going over that limit. This may sound "stupid" to some, but, it is fact.
If you are racing and not testing the limits, you will never improve. If you are play riding and just having fun, then I guess it doesn't really matter.;)

Last edited:

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
if it were that easy, where we all didn't fall and still could go fast....We'd all be out there with Carmichael and MC!! Learn from mistakes...if you try something new or push harder don't be all that surprised...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
When I'm riding relaxed I almost never fall....when I push hard seems I always do. This year is a stellar year for me and falls...at almost every practice session at my local track I have fallen at least once, and during an arenacross practice I fell four times in one moto!
I did, however, manage to return home one time this year unscathed...and I realized that it was a time when I was relaxed. Yeah, I may have been sitting more than usual and not pushing as hard...but I didn't crash. It may also be fatigue that causes crashes too. When I'm uptight, I tend to get tired real easy. When I'm relaxed, I can ride all day.

robj

Oct 31, 2000
I just did my worst offroad damage - but without falling. Just stuck my foot out to stop the front end washing out round a hard pack corner and broke my ankle. Should've gone with the fall. Six weeks to go in plaster - at least I get a free upper body workout and more time online.

XR 250R RIDER

Apr 5, 2001
I seem to fall often or not at all, depends on how I am riding. When I race and push myself hard I seem to wipe out but when just joy riding, I amost never fall. I have not gotten hurt to bad though; besides my first crash this year when I sprained my wrist and it was swollen for almost 2 weeks. Yesterday I crashed while racing a buddy, I hit some loose dirt and wiped out, flying right in front of my oncoming friend. thankfully he had time to stop, or else he would have ran over my legs. My brother seems to crash a lot on his TTR. That thing has really taking a beating, bent handle bars, 2 broken brake levers, front fender has been bent up, rear fender bent up and now busted, number plate is bent up, and so on.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I have found that over the past 2 years, I fall less but crash harder. I always try to figure out what caused my crash and how to avoid it next time. As for letting the crash intimidate you, can't do that! Get back on the bike and try it again.

I crashed hard at a harescramble at the beginning of this season. In 4th gear picking up speed and my front forks hit something, bottomed out & I flew over the bars, did a perfect volleyball inspired forward roll as my bike cartwheeled behind me. It was the beginning of the very last lap and I rode what was left of my bike the rest of the lap slightly dazed & confused.

2 weeks later, after replacing my front fork seals, straightening my pipe, replaceing my clutch lever and handlebars we went the Vantage 100 to ride the Poker Run. I bottomed out the forks AGAIN on a rock in 3rd gear going downhill. Slammed my right thigh into my handlebars this time. Only 12 miles into the first of two 40 mile loops. Once I could walk again and I managed to kickstart my bike we finished the race. I was determined to make better time on the 2nd loop (thank you Advil) and I felt more comfortable on the second loop too. Kinda like, okay I hit hard, it hurts but I'm still up & moving!

I did learn that I needed to take the advice for lightening up the front end to heart. Mountain biking on some seriously technical IBA trails near the office is helping me immensely with that. Of course today I finally fell over on one of the goat trails I was mountain biking on. After the bike and I came to rest on a ledge 30' below where I had been but before I actually went rolling down the canyon. I got the front brakes to release from the front tire, I was tempted to just head back to the office and call it a day. I almost did but then I got mad and decided that the stupid goat trail was NOT going to intimdate me. Had a great 40 minute ride after that, even did some of the sections that I have previously not attempted.

Like my momma used to say - get back on that horse!

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I seem to fall more offten then I did when I first started it seems like I need to go fast to get more adrenalin flowing then I take it to far.
falling in mud sux.
later.:cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom