How to change the front sproket

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
Currently i have a 2003 kdx220r
For mods I have ,fmf gnarly torque pipe and silencer,fmf torque reeds,rb design carb,airbox mod i havent ridden it in about a year and rode it the other day even on the road in second and third the front end didnt really want to come up on its own i hope its because of the old gas. I also am going to ride more and i ride in tight woods conditions so i bought a 12t sproket what has to be done to install this and do i have to do anything to the chain and how much of a diff am i going to feel.

BigJack

Jun 28, 2005
Changing the sprocket is easy. There is a round spring clip holding the sprocket on. All you need to do is remove that with a screw driver or scribe or something that can get under it. Once you remove that the sprocket is free but you have a rubber chain guide in the way so it will not come straight out. I just used a screw driver to pry it out. You will need to use a similiar technique to put the new sprocket on. I'm not too sure if you want to put a smaller sprocket up front though. 1 tooth down in the front is equal to 3 teeth up in the back. This will make the bike a lot more responsive and want to pop up the front wheel more. Maybe that's what you want. I went 2 up in the rear and I can pull wheelies in 1-4 just from twisting the throttle.

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
it's safer to go with a larger rear sproket than keep going down on the front, I was advised by a bike mechanic that he would never go lower than a 13 on the front. Popping the front wheel is all about balance not power, if you know what your doing you can pop the front on a ct110 (postie bike). Plus having a bike that constanlty want's to lift the front wheel by just twisting the throttle can be difficult to ride fast, hard to turn with the front wheel in the air.

kanrandy

Apr 26, 2003
:rotfl: I know conventional wisdom says don't go to a 12 tooth sprocket up front for reasons involving chain wear, but I haven't had any problems with my last 2 bikes doing this. On the KDX you won't have any problems with the stock 108 tooth chain. I recommend changing the "c" clip when you change the sprocket. If you ride in the woods this is a good setup but the bike does suffer alot of top speed loss.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
:rotfl: Yes! Loosen the chain. I forgot to check when I went up on teath. When I got back from my test ride smoke was rolling of the chain :bang: Man, somtimes I wonder about myself!

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
frankie said:
how much do you think year old gas will affect performance

Alot!.. Gas starts to loose it's fiz after 60 - 90 days. 1 year and you could probably use it to finish your coffee table. Most newer four strokes won't even start with year old gas. Drain the tank, clean the carb, and go ride.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I tried year old gas once and the bike had no powerband. It ran like it was jetted all wrong. What's this have to do with front sprockets though?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom