keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
:aj: How hard is it to replace the clutch rings and springs. Is it something I can do myself never have doing it before and with basic garage tools? I work on my own cars but I have never worked on a bike. I have a 95 KTM 440. I dont have any way to measure the thickness of the old rings but if I replace them all it shouldnt matter. Or is it worth paying a local dealer $65 to do it all for me? :aj:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It's a case of how much is your time worth to you. First time ever doing a clutch I'd estimate it will take you close to an hour, after that less than 30 minutes. I'm mechanically impaired and it's a job I don't think twice about doing myself. An impact gun or clutch holder will make the job much easier but is not an absolute requirement. Also soak the new plates in oil overnight prior to doing the job.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
As for "clutch holders".. I have a simple tool.. Remove the plug, use a length of nylon rope that will fit into the plug hole. Put in about 4 or 5 inches of rope, making sure that you have a good bit out of the hole so you can remove it.. Mine is about a foot long.

then rotate the engine around until the piston hits against the rope. The engine won't turn, and the rope won't do any damage. Sort of like that nylon stopper that Motion Pro sells, only cheaper.

And don't use an impact on your clutch springs when installing.. As a matter of fact, don't use a lot of force to tighten them. They break easy..

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You don't need a clutch holder for this job. Remove the clutch cover, undo the 6 or so bolts with springs under them. Lift the pressure plate, clutches, and steels out of the basket. Make careful note of the order of the clutches and steels and keep an eye out for plates that may differ from others. Soak new frictions in oil. Assembly is the reverse of installtion. Do not overtorque or you may snap a bolt. The bolts are small and don't really need to be cranked on. If the hub turns while you try to loosen or tighten bolts, put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake. You only need fancy clutch holders or an impact wrench when you remove the basket.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
my trick, i dont need any rope, no clutch holder, just a penny between the primary gear and the clutch basket. It works well and it only takes a few seconds.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
and again don't use the impact on the spring bolts! they are ver fragila as mentioned above, but other wise its a very easy quick job. be sure to get a manual if u run into problems. (actually u should get one anyways :) )

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
To clarify my post the impact gun is only for removing the large nut holding the basket on, nothing more. I never really gave it any thought that anyone would use an impact gun to remove a spring bolt.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
To clarify my post the impact gun is only for removing the large nut holding the basket on, nothing more. I never really gave it any thought that anyone would use an impact gun to remove a spring bolt.

Must have gotten lost in the translation somewhere from Canadian to American... Damned borders..

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Do I need to remove the basket? Where can I find a manual for this bike? What type of oil do I soke them in? There ius a clutch diagram on Bike Bandit and there are two larger steels that go on the ends. Do I just snug the spring bolts or is it all going to fall apart if I dont get them down tight enough. What type of oil to I put back into the case? Sorry for all the Q. I would rather do it right the first time.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You don't need to remove the basket to change the clutches. You don't need a gasket, either, You can go in through the clutch cover which should have a reuseable o-ring.

Top Bottom