CR 250 MXer

Jan 30, 2002
My friend just bought a 200 MXC and he saw that the hydraulic clutch fluid was pretty low. The local KTM dealer told him a bottle of fluid from KTM would cost $20 for the smallest bottle. What do KTM guys use in their clutch master cylinders? Does he have to pay $20 for the KTM stuff?

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Do a search in this forum. I remember a while back the specific subject was discussed--- mineral oil, baby oil and fork oil were prefrences of several that replied. All sounded alot less than the $20 snake oil.

KTMRYDER

Apr 5, 2002
I RIDE A 2001 KTM SX125 AND IT HAS A HYDRAULIC CLUTH ALSO AS YOU KNOW THEY ALL HAVE. I ASK MY TEAM LEADER HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE THE FLUID AND HE SAIS HARDLEY EVER. WELL I WAS AT MY SPONSORS SHOP AND I SAW A LITTLE BOTTLE OF THE FLUID AND I THINK IT WAS LIKE 15 TO 20 BUCKS. BUT ONCE YOU BUY A BOTTLE IT WILL LAST A LONG TIME BACUSE YOU DON'T CHANGE YOUR CLUTCH FLUID LIKE YOU NORMALLY WOULD.
HOPE I WAS SOME HELP!

ktm_vet_rydr

Jan 16, 2002
as per sharp, there are a few posts about this topic. i own a 520 and a 380. i back bleed the clutch fluid with auto atf fluid as per enduro engineering. the pull is less than the mineral oil and even less when combined with a steel braided line and lever from ee. you can reach them at www.enduroeng.com you do not need to purchase a 20$ bottle of fluid.

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
Hi,

I to have been using ATF (for over a year)as per conversation with Alan at EE also. It has done very well and the pull is lighter.

Vern

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
2.5 wt fork oil is the best I found so far. I've used them all. ATF, mineral oil, baby oil etc. and the 2.5wt fork oil brought the best results as far as the lightest pull.

Coach

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I find it humorous everytime I read someone using baby oil or drugstore mineral oil...LOL. (mineral oil from the drugstore is NOT mineral hydralic fluid contrary to popular belief...lol)

Type F ATF works mucho fine. (approx. 7.5 wt.)
<----another vote for the braided, steel line.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Jaybird, I don't know if Babyoil is classified as mineral oil or not. ;) Nevertheless it works in the clutch.
When it doesn't hurt baby's backside the precious Magura seals should be able to endure that stuff, too, don't you think?

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
marcv,
How you gonna buy a $20 bottle of KTM fluid with only 2 cents???? :think: ;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....good point, Shaw!
marc, the $20 a bottle IS the reason.

Frank, I've never actually seen testing of baby-oil on seals...who knows? Your logic sounds good though, I say use it and be happy.
I took a look at a bottle of Johnsons baby oil....looks to be a bit thicker than ATF. (shrug)

Top Bottom