I can’t believe it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
This is good stuff, it's sounds like the same guy. I get these emails at my work, CHP.GOV, can't understand why though?! I like the ones that say they are from South Africa and are hiding in a hole somewhere due to an uprising. They need my help, I'm so touched, and if I send them my bank info, they can wire me 1 million clams and I can keep 10% for the work. Wow, what a deal. They start off by saying they are King yada yada yada and I usually reply back with, Hi, I'm Shiba, Queen of the Nile...

Sad thing, some fall for this.:(

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I loved the one from Belgium. "MR." Debby Morrison (perhaps the recipient of a recent mind and body altering operation) wants a relationship to stand the "taste" of time. What flavour would that be, exactly?

As for the request to describe the condition of the bike, I'd be tempted to describe ridiculous, impossible details and see how ignorant Debby is:

"This is a late-model belt-drive bike with new dual 34" rear tires and a 12" front. The smooth 6 cylinder rotary engine delivers 320 h.p. to the heavy-duty transmission. There is one small cosmetic scratch on the luggage compartment on the starboard side as a result of an incident that occured whilst docking in the Mojave. To show you my interest in expediting this transaction, I am willing to include a size 42 wetsuit, reasonable clean iron thermos, and a new single-coil pickup. Congratulations on your recent operation; I know it will bring you many hours of solitary pleasure in the years to come."

These thieving buggers really boil my blood!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Here is the latest from "Mr. Wright"

I cannot send the cash because of my location. I don't have the cash in your contry's currency

Here is my response. Guys, I actually couldn't contain myself when I typed this :)) I really wonder if he actually thinks I'm this dumb. Notice how we are now on a first name basis.

"Brian,
No problem, just go to the bank, and I know they can help you out. I know that they can take your money and transfer it into American currency. I bet even the Western Union guys can electronically convert it. That would be really quick.

Mike"

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Detonator said:
"This is a late-model belt-drive bike with new dual 34" rear tires and a 12" front. The smooth 6 cylinder rotary engine delivers 320 h.p. to the heavy-duty transmission. There is one small cosmetic scratch on the luggage compartment on the starboard side as a result of an incident that occured whilst docking in the Mojave. To show you my interest in expediting this transaction, I am willing to include a size 42 wetsuit, reasonable clean iron thermos, and a new single-coil pickup. Congratulations on your recent operation; I know it will bring you many hours of solitary pleasure in the years to come."

These thieving buggers really boil my blood!
Det, I might actually use that. I bet they might fall for it. Actually, it would be great if someone (real) actually bought my bike and I could continue this with them even after it sold.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Patience, my child...your bike's only been on sale for 4 days! And yes, you must continue terrorizing this gasbag after the bike is sold.

Seriously, I agree with some of the others on the issue of reporting this to an appropriate authority. The fact that you are a DRN subscriber and are knowledgeable about potential scams puts you in the minority. Imagine some poor 15 year-old so excited to sell his bike that he bites at this offer. These folks are predators, and although I'm not too sophistimicated with computers and the 'interweb', I'm sure you've gathered enough information to help someone track him down.

I had a laptop stolen in October (don't worry...it was a Macintosh) along with my dayplanner, family photos, cheque book, and dental X-rays for insurance submission. The pukes put a hole in the passenger window panel of my minivan (shut up...I'm still cool!) and reached in to snag the computer case.
Two hours later, my wife got a call from a good Samaritan who found basically everything except the laptop abandoned in a hardware store parking lot. The thieves got a third-hand powerbook with pedagogical software on it, and I got my life back.

That story ended well, but I'll tell you that as a 35 year-old raised in the country, it was the FIRST time in my life that my personal security was infringed upon. It is an unsettling feeling, and it changes one's perspective on trust and peacefulness.

For what it's worth!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I actually gave the Attorney General in NC my phone number and am awaiting a call from him.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
MikeT said:
Here is the latest from "Mr. Wright"

"Brian,
No problem, just go to the bank, and I know they can help you out. I know that they can take your money and transfer it into American currency. I bet even the Western Union guys can electronically convert it. That would be really quick.

Mike"

I'm surprised he didn't get upset that you mis-spelled his name. If you go back and look at the original e-mail you posted, you'll see that his name is actually "Brain." Which should have been obvious based on his clear thinking and command of the language. :thumb:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Lol!

MCP486

~SPONSOR~
Dec 26, 2001
I was contacted recently by a scammer on ebay, trying to sell me a 2001 YZ125....the funny thing is he sent me a picture of a YZ250. I had to lead him on, and see just how stupid he was. Here is the dialogue.....

Before I bid, it is definitely necessary to have the lettering off the motor. It is on the left hand side. 95% of them say 5MV, but a few say 5NY. Also, who manufactures the graphics?

Thanks,

Matt

Oh yes I finded.It's 5NY.

So it has a 2002 YZ125 cylinder on it?

Matt

Yes,that's right.

Is there any reason that you installed an '02 cylinder on an '01? Also, who makes your graphics kit??

Thanks,

Matt

I don't realy know why I have a 02 cylibder.My mecanic knows.
Yuv graphics.
Regards

Well, ask your mechanic, and let me know what he says. Also, I thought One Industries makes the Jeremy McGrath Bud Light Graphics. Who is Yuv? Let me know, so we can go through with this deal. I also have a few more questions.

Thanks,

Matt

Yuv is the name of my grafics and it's made by ONE industrials.
Regards

Ok sounds excellent. Are the flux capacitors, and muffler bearings in good shape?

Thanks,

Matt

Sir,
All is in perfect shape.The bike is perfect.
It was never been damaged or things like that.
Regards

So the flux capacitors are in excellent shape?

Matt

Yes sir that's right.

Ok, then I am convinced that this is the bike for me. Where and when can I pick it up? Is your price negotiable?

Thanks,

Matt

What an idiot! This guy really amazed me with his lack of intelligence.

Matt

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It is funny how when I mentioned Western Union for them to wire me the money, the emails have stopped....... Hmm.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
MikeT said:
It is funny how when I mentioned Western Union for them to wire me the money, the emails have stopped....... Hmm.

How bizarre...I have a 2001 YZ 125, and I believe my muffler bearings are completely shot. Acting on your tip, I squished about 1.3 lbs of chassis grease into the silencer end and packed it in with a torque wrench (always use a torque wrench!) It has definitely helped to quiet the bike, but it now only revs to 3000 rpm. Perhaps unrelated, my rear tire loops out at less than 10 mph on pavement. Could this be my flux capacitor? Should I squish some grease on it and pack it with my torque wrench? I was also thinking of purchasing a 2004 cylinder and stuffing it on my '01 top end. Could you tell me the GSI (Grease per Square Inch) I am supposed to squish through the spark plug hole?

Good job, MikeT...get those losers on the run. I still think that an uniformed seller (younger person) might feel there's enough credibility to these predators. I hope the crooks get frustrated and leave the dirtbike market alone.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Hey, if you deposit $10,000 dollars in my bank account I'll pay you $1,000,000. after the check clears :)

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
If I had $10,000 in my account, do you think I'd be riding an '01 YZ 125? Or drive a previously-enjoyed minivan? On the other hand, the bike runs great, and chicks dig dudes with receding hairlines who drive minivans. It's a fact.

My wife feels shame for me whenever I hook up my newly washed bike and trailer to my minivan and attempt to look cool. She says I am a rolling mid-life crisis. Secretly, I know she thinks I'm an awesome stud!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Did I tell you I am a Nigerian dignitary?

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
I have a bike for sale too. Instead of being bombarded by scammers, I look in the "Bike Wanted" area, and deal with folks one on one. Its slower, but no scammers. Maybe if DRN and other forums emphasize folks posting for bikes wanted and discouraged bikes for sale, a dent could be put in the scammers pocket. They must get a bite occasionally, or they wouldnt be trying to pull the scam to begin with.

Although the fun you guys are having with these scammers is tempting............

Robert

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
There was just a story on the ten o clock news last night about a college girl selling her car on the internet. The buyer sent her a $20,000 cashiers check and asked that she hold out the $9,000 and send the $11,000 to his agent to insure delivery. She cashed it but before she wired the money to the agent her bank called her and told her the cashier check was a fake.
The agents account to which the money was to be wired was in.......

Nigeria

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You're Kidding..

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I was just being sarcastic. It really is a shame how these guys keep pulling off the same scam and keep on stealing peoples money.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
TheJunkMan said:
should sell on a cash only basis... the local pizza place HAD to go to a cash only cuz the college kids were writting to many bad checks
so did our local por-, er, "Adult Accessory" store. :cool:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Just got this:
Spoke with PayPal, It is completely FAKE
Dear PayPal user,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your PayPal account may
have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security
of your account and of the PayPal network is our primary concern.
Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to
sensitive PayPal account features.
Click below in order to regain access to your account:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

For more information about how to protect your account, please visit
PayPal's Security Center, accessible via the "Security Center" link located
at the bottom of each page of the PayPal website.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire PayPal
system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
"Help" link in the header of any page.

PayPal Email ID PP198
PayPal Email ID PP316

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Just looks like we have to be prepared for every type of scam these days. I just sold my bike and I told the buyer to come with cash. I gave him the bike and that was that.

Top Bottom