i got a question on rethreading

banderson

Apr 30, 2002
my local dealer changed my jetting and gave my bike new set of tires and rims and when i came home and turned the gas on the carb started leaking so i turned it off and took the carb out and they striped one of the bolts holding the bowl on and when i took it back to them they told me to rethread it but didnt tell me how and what to use, i dont want to screw it up so any body ever have to do this or know where i could take it?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Wait, the Dealer stripped the threads while they were doing work for you? Work that you paid them for?

If that's the case, it's their screw-up and they need to fix it for you (and fix it for free) , not give you the brush off! Go back and be polite, but firm. If the counter guy is not being responsive, ask to see the owner. Make it clear that they need to make the situation right.

To answer your original question. The carb float bowel screw threads into the carb body. The threads are small, metric M4 I think. I'm assuming that it's the threads in the carb body that are damaged, not the screw? To make new threads for a hole that small you have to drill a slightly larger hole and use a metric tap to cut a new set of slightly larger threads (M5 or M6). If you've never done that before, this is not a good place to practice so I'd advise taking it to a reputable dealer and having them do it.

Still, I think you need to go back to the dealer that did the jetting change and have them make it right.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Is your bike still under waranty? If so, I would insist on a NEW carb. If not as BRush said the dealer needs to make it right.

banderson

Apr 30, 2002
no its a 94 so the waranty is gone and i beat up the dealers managers son last week so i think that and the law suit may have something to do with it

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
FOMYCLMAO!! And that's all they did to your bike? I'm surprised you didn't get it back as a box of parts. Are you jackin with us or what?

Good Luck

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by banderson
...i beat up the dealers managers son last week so i think that and the law suit may have something to do with it

Well, that explains a few things! :eek:

banderson

Apr 30, 2002
nope i aint screwin with ya and i am taking it to another dealer i called this mourning that said they would do it for free so if i like these guys service and lack of asses behind the counters i think they are who i will keep goin to buy stuff but thanks any way with you help guys

Top Bottom